Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds in snow

Posted by sconnielill 5, WI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 12:02

Several days ago we had a few days of warm weather and forgot how we could still freeze. I suppose I've been watching too many specials on global warming recently.

Anyway, in my foolishness I started a large herb pot (16 qts soil at least) with sweet basil, oregano, thyme, dill, cilantro, and sage. I couldn't leave the pot inside for fear that the cats will use it as an impromptu litter box. The snow came only 3 - 4 days after I planted the seeds. I'm planning on starting some more herb seeds inside anyway to be planted in the ground. I just need to know if some seeds should be reserved to resow the pot. What are the odds that the seeds will still sprout when the snow melts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds in snow

Some seeds will survive cold winters. Dill here will sprout from last summers plants. Oregano, thyme might also sprout once the weathe gets a bit milder in late May. Basil has never survived for me when it drops its seeds. Cilantro also can survive. You will not get a high germination rate, but you should see some new plants once its milder. Its far too early for most seed starting even for indoors in Z5. Suggest you wait until mid April before starting any seeds.

o
RE: Starting seeds in snow

ksrogers is right.
Except cilantro, all those herbs are warm weather crops.
parsley may also do ok.
In my estimation, in zone 5, they should be sown outdoors
sometime in late April or May. Otherwise nothing will happen and some seeds may die or rot. But you can start them indoors, or in a cold frame box now and put them in the garden sometime around Mothers Day. That is a time gage in CT at least

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here