Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthew18_gw

oregano from seed..what to expect

matthew18
14 years ago

I'm growing many new things from seed this late winter/spring. My oregano has sprouted but the have been shall I say.."stuck" at 1/4 inch in hieght with 2 leaves. I'm not using a grow light..only the sun from the window which ranges 5-6 hours of sun. The temp is usally between 65-70. Sometimes a little warmer. is this growth rate normal?

Comments (12)

• karen_b
    14 years ago

Several years I ago I tried sowing oregano from seed and found you have to be very patient. As you are finding it has a very slow growth rate if it doesn't get exactly what it wants. Make sure you don't overwater the seedlings or you'll end up with more algae than you will seedlings. I'd try to give them more light and cooler temperatures. But if that isn't possible maybe you could make a makeshift coldframe outside where it will get more direct natural light. I did this one year with old windows. It actually worked great, it wasn't weather tight but covering it with plastic helped out. Another thing about starting oregano from seed the plants took 3 years before they were large enough to harvest any reasonable amount. But consider it experimental and see what happens. If it doesn't work out you can always buy plants later in the season or try sowing directly after the danger of frost.

• matthew18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the response How long will the oregano plant last? When is it considered at maturity?

• opal52
    14 years ago

I have oregano that I started from seed years ago. Since I don't harvest it to dry for winter use, I was able to start cutting it for fresh use within one year. Oregano is a perennial herb in my zone. It goes dormant in winter and pops back up every spring. The oregano in our garden is more than 10 years old. If you let it bloom, it is a bee magnet in addition to being very pretty.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I usually buy oregano plants. I have several of them that have over
    wintered. But I start marjorams from seed because they are annual
    and easy to grow. I have started some in my cold fram
    and they are coming along nicely.
    Try rooting store-bough oregano to root(in water or soil).

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I've never started oregano from seed but I would expect like most perennial herbs that it would take around 3 years to get to a mature size. For most perennial herbs I do the following: Forgo harvesting altogether in year 1. Year 2, harvest very lightly or not at all depending upon plant. Year 3 you should be able to harvest normally but never more than 1/3 of the growing plant material at any time.

FataMorgana

• lizbeth_pa
    14 years ago

I love oregano and have had it in my garden also for many years now. I love it and it's a bee magnet for sure. Aslo the butterflies like it and I hear that the humming birds like it but I have not seen a hummer in my oregano patch. I can't remember if I started mine from seed or if I bought it already started at a nursery. You can also propagate it pretty easily. The flowers are very pretty.

• matthew18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks guys. I dont think I realized that it was a multi year time investment but thats ok.

• leisa_in_md
    14 years ago

I started mine from seed last year and was able to use it same year. There wasn't a LOT, but I got enough for several batches of soup stock. I started several plants, which helped with the amount. And it's coming back for me this year -- hopefully it will take off! It was worth it, though.

• MGPinSavannah
    14 years ago

Here oregano is certainly perennial. We had an especially cold winter this year so it had to be trimmed back to the ground. We're finally starting our spring (late for us) and it's starting to send up new growth.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

The reason for my not harvesting at all or only harvesting lightly in the first 2 years of growth for perennial herbs is to allow the plant the best opportunity to thrive and grow. I'm looking forward to many years of good harvests and I want the plant to be big and strong and able to withstand repeated harvests.

This has always worked very well for me but you can experiment and see what works best for you. Experience is a fine and wonderful teacher in the garden.

FataMorgana

• vickgeo1981
    10 years ago

Hi i just planted Greek oregano seeds,and i am zone 10,very close to Greece so i am guessing it's the righ enviroment to grow,i planted both Greek oregano and Greek basil and basil has started to grow but oregano is slow, as you can see by this photos the deifference is huge,they are not my photos just some i found on the internet so you can estimate the growing speed of oregano

Basil sprouts http://backyardfoodgrowing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Basil-Sprouts.jpg

Oregano sprouts http://donnerfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/oregano-seedlings.jpg

Do note that i planted both seeds same day,and they imerge with a 2 day difference

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting