Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding info on types of plants

Posted by sudimari z5 IN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 12:30

I am looking forward to trying to container grow lavender this year. My local nursery is planning on carrying 6 varieties. I'd like to research each type, for size, light requirements, spacing, bloom timing, etc and decide what I want well before they get them in. I suspect they will go fast, lavender is becoming more popular, and I want a chance to get what I want before its gone!

Any web sites, links that would be a good place to get this info...not just on lavender, but on outdoor plants in general. I have a load of info here at home on houseplants...its the outside stuff I'm clueless with!

Thanks,
Suz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding info on types of plants

Suggest that you do a web search, yahoo, google, or others. Its quite easy to do, and will help you decide what kinds of types you prefer to grow. Here, people can have all kinds of issues, as it might be related to weather conditions in various planting zones. I do know that is one plant that does mich better outdoors. Z5 is quite cold for some plants, so you may have cold issues with some lavender.

o

Look for english lavender varieties like "munstead" for best hardiness. Lavender will need a well-drained (especially in winter) site for best results. I've had a "munstead" for more than 10 years outdoors. Good Luck!

FataMorgana

o

I have opposite of FataMorgana. I can not get "munstead" to grow but have no problem with the large leafed types except for the ones labeled "Dutch". The Dutch type will grow nicely during the summer but die in the winter. Has never lived over for me.

Some can be grown as annuals or in pots to bring in. I always try to find the best looking one of this type at the cheapest price because I do not want to spend more than $5.00 on a plant that will not live over.

o

Any reputable nursery will have a resident horticulturist who should be able to give advice on all and any plants they stock. Have you thought to just ask what will do best in your local area?

o

Great advice. It's one of the reasons I suggest that people visit their locally owned and operated nurseries rather than the big box mega-marts that simply have a "lawn & garden" department. Your local nurseries generally have people who know plants, know what grows in your area, and will really help you pick the right plants.

It's also my experience that plants from the locally owned nurseries and garden centers are of better quality. Sometimes you can get great deals at the big-box places but in regards to getting plants there, it is my opinion that as a rule you get what you pay for. If it is cheap, then it is cheap, inferior stock.

So go visit one of your local nurseries. I think you will be so much more satisfied!

FataMorgana

o

Yes, for plants that I'm not comfortable with (such as lavender outside in this zone) I prefer a locally owned nursery. In the past I've had a hard time finding certain things...like lavender. The one offering this variety (6 types!)of plants this season, I trust and will definitely buy from them. I just wanted to get some basic info so I could figure out which ones would be best suited to my particulars.

Since I have to container garden, if I am looking for typical run of the mill perenials or annuals (not herbs!) I go for the cheap, big box places, but others...like herbs for medicinal/spiritual uses and long term investments like bushes, I think it's best to support local enterprise. The one selling the lavender this year even offers a year guarantee, so if one of my bushes don't make it through the winter they will replace it...just like those other places!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here