Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Herbs in the kitchen garden

lavender_lass
12 years ago

We have a kitchen garden that we're adding on to...kind of like a little potager. Four beds around a center pot (probably with rosemary) and the beds will be about 4' x 7' each.

While most potagers are for vegetables, I have deer...so I'm thinking about growing mostly herbs and a few flowers, in these beds. We really like tea herbs and cooking herbs...maybe a few for potpourri or medicinal, too. I know there's not enough room to grow everything and we are in zone 4, with hot summers and long winters.

While boxwood is not hardy here, I don't mind adding annuals to edge the beds, for a little color and definition. Any ideas/suggestions for herbs and flowers? Also looking for ideas on how to label herbs...or is it better to draw a 'plan' so you know which herb is which, as they get larger?

Finally, can you winter rosemary over in the house...or is it better to start with a new plant each year? Nothing survives in a pot, over the winter...and it's too large and heavy to move into the garage. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (4)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

If you want to add annuals, I would designate a bed for annuals or keep them to the edges (as you suggested) allowing the perennials to remain relatively undisturbed.

While a lot of folks like boxwood for edging, I personally can't stand it. Boxwood always smells like cat pee to me - so in my opinion, you're not missing much!! ;)

Here's a few that I've grown that are at least zone 5 hardy - you'll have to check if they work in zone 4. You'll also have to review sizes since some are large for smaller gardens. All perennial unless otherwise noted.

Echinacea - Medicinal, beautiful, native, pollinator attractor
    Lemon Balm - Medicinal, tea, culinary, you can't kill it, deer can't kill it.
    Mint - take your pick of peppermint or spearmint. Some of the flavored mints are more tender to check zones.
    Bee Balm - Medicinal, tea, native, pollinator attractor
    Chili Pepper - Medicinal, culinary, pretty plants and tasty, healthful fruits
    Rose - Medicinal, tea, culinary, aromatherapy, as beautiful as useful
    Catnip - Medicinal, tea, and fun for many cats, short-lived perennial
    Sage - Medicinal, tea, culinary, wonderful herb
    Marshmallow - Medicinal, fuzzy leaves, large plant, hollyhock-like flowers
    Garlic (hardneck) - Medicinal, culinary, a wonderful allium
    Chives - Culinary, another wonderful allium
    Thyme - Medicinal, tea, culinary, yummy!
    Parsley - Biennial, medicinal, culinary, tasty
    Borage - Annual, culinary, pollinator attractor
    Calendula - Annual, medicinal, culinary, my garden always has them
    Lovage - Culinary, a stately beauty with a the max'd out celery taste
    Fennel - Biennial/perennial, medicinal, culinary, feathery fronds are very attractive, swallowtail butterfly host plant (parsley too)
    Comfrey - Medicinal (cautioned), pretty
    Violets - Medicinal, culinary, who doesn't love them?
    Angelica - Biennial, medicinal, culinary, a stately and dramatic plant
    Sorrel - Culinary, yummy, sour lemon taste
    Wild strawberry - Medicinal, culinary, tea, a native plant prized and celebrated by the Native Americans of my region (Haudenosaunee aka Iroquois)

There are others to be sure.

FataMorgana

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FataMorgana- Thank you so much, for the response...and the information, on the boxwood :)

I have several of these herbs, already in the fairy garden...and love them! The woodland strawberries are hidden under taller, deer resistant plants and they make a wonderful ground cover. I'm also planning to move some violets from another location and add those to the garden, too.

So far, the spearmint and the pineapple mint have been very hardy...and the sweet woodruff. I'd like to add some angelica, but I understand that takes more shade, in the summer. Do you have yours in a shady area?

In the kitchen garden, I'd like to have some of the larger herbs, mixed in with the perennials, along the border. I have beds all around the garden, with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, smaller shrubs and perennials and some annuals. I'd like to add some peonies and bulbs for more spring color...and the dill is usually hidden in with the cosmos, zinnias and marigolds, to keep the deer from chewing on it.

For the middle beds, maybe I should concentrate on culinary herbs...then have the tea/potpourri and medicinal herbs, mixed in with the border. Still trying to figure out what should go where, but thank you so much for the list. There are a lot of great herbs that I'd like to add :)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I've grown angelica in partial shade to full sun. It does fine for me. I plant things close together so the soil is always shaded. I think that and giving them the water they need in the hottest summer weather we have, is key to having them do well. The herb gardens at the nearby Cornell Plantations usually has angelica in full sun so I'm not the only one.

FataMorgana

• defrost49
    12 years ago

I once saw a photo of a bed edged with curly parsley. Personally I prefer low, creeping plants like thyme to edge beds. It looks good all the time (no pun intended). I like the addition of nasturtium, esp Alaska which has variegated leaves, to the garden but don't plant it too thickly since it can get large. Not sure if deer like these plants. We have deer but the repellant spray I use around the edge of the garden seems to keep them away. Calendula self seeds in my garden so I usually let it grown where it is. I like the color that the blossoms add.

What about scented geraniums? I am too lazy to over winter them indoors so I buy new plants each spring.

I have been able to over-winter rosemary indoors by keeping it in the bathroom with a north window. It's on the back of the toilet. I think the humidity from the shower helps plus I don't usually forget to water it. It's not terribly happy indoors but it survives. Our current bathroom also has a west window.

I think keeping a map is a good idea. Plant markers are nice but they are in the way when you rake or disappear over winter.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County