Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickling Seeds

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 13:24

Can anything be done with Nasturtium seeds, ei; like pickling, etc.

How about Bay Tree seeds (Laurus Nobilis )?

The seeds always make me think of Capers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickling Seeds

Do a web search on "Nasturtium Capers" and you will find many recipes for making "capers" from nasturtium pods.

Jim

o

Plants for a Future, pfaf.org is a good site to get some medicinal & edibility info. Give them a look.

FataMorgana

o

Do they taste good? Are they worth the effort?

o

I checked out the websites, Jim. Thanks for the suggestion.

o

Nasturtium seeds taste peppery, like the leaves. You could always do a trial just pouring spiced vinegar over some seeds and refrigerating. No need to can if you're just testing. Use them green, not dry.

I've never seen any reference to using Laurus nobilis berries for anything and I'd be wary.

I

o

You can make mustard like sauce with Nasturtium seeds ground.
It is just another peppery seed like mustard but not as strong.. I just like to eat the fresh soft seeds of the vine.

o

Thank you all! I won't be tossing any more Nasturtium seeds.

o

If memory serves, Euell Gibbons, in Stalking the Wild Asparagus, tells about making capers from the undeveloped flower buds of nasturtiums, whereas all the sites I found in a web search say to use the seed pods.

Gibbons also talks about making bayberry candles from the wax of bayberries. I don't know which type of bay is used though. There are two types. And I don't remember which book it is.

I need to look these things up.

Jim

o

"Bayberry shrubs (Myrica pensylvanica) are adaptable plants especially valued for their salt tolerance. Members of the Waxmyrtle family, the southern variety of ..."

I was asking about Bay Laural, but I'd forgotten about Bayberry. We always had Bayberry candles in our home as a child, mainly because my Mom liked the smell.

o

I made the nasturtium seeds as directed, first starting with the salt solution soak. A friend and I tasted the seeds at this step and thought they tasted great! Perhaps I will do just this first salt soak to make an addition to a salad.

However, the pickled ones are... OK. I think I'll try a different recipe next time.

o

If you find a good recipe that you like, be sure to share. :)

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here