Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender Turning Brown & Withered?

Posted by sammyyummy 11 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:33

Hi.
My mom gave me some lavender plants.
They were planted in well draining soilless mix, and exposed to lots of sun (and heat).
I water them sparingly and keep the soil from becoming too wet for prolonged periods of time (read that lavender hates getting their root soaked). I water every other day when the soil becomes dry.
I have had them for 3-4 months now but have noticed them to have lost vigor : they're not of a healthy green color but somewhat pale green to almost brown grey, with the stems turning dark brown as well.

Are they a goner?
What am I doing wrong?
Please help. I had no success growing them from seeds for a year hence they were given to me; first time herb gardener here.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender Turning Brown & Withered?

Can you share a photo of your plants? Photos help tell a lot of the story and what might be happening.

That said, lavender can often be various shades of grey-green but brown is not a healthy color. It is the color of dead foliage. Potted plants can get baked - literally - in their pots. I see you are zone 11, perhaps the pots are getting too much heat and you are cooking your plants?

FataMorgana

o

While mature lavender plants can tolerate a limited amount of drought conditions, lavender can really take quite a bit of water, as long as you've provided good drainage. Potted plants will always use much more water than plants in the garden. And a small pot will always dry out much more quickly than a large pot.

Potting mixes, when allowed to dry out completely, become water repellent. The solution is to immerse the pot, plant and all, in a bucket or tub of water, leave until the air bubbles cease to rise to the surface, remove. This redydrates the 'soil', enabling the roots to access the moisture once again.

I suggest your plants are dying of thirst. 'Tolerates some drought when mature' does NOT mean 'likes desert conditions'.

o

IVe included pictures for your assessment. Please keep your insights coming.

o

an up close view

o

an up close view, the one on the far right is the one im worried about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here