Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon balm or ???

Posted by lexie1397 z8. OR (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 13:45

Hi!

I purchased a house this year that had some pretty well established garden beds. In it, is a plant that smells wonderfully of lemon but I want to be relatively certain of its identity before I start making teas and adding it to my food!

How do I distinguish between lemon balm, lemon mint, and some other lemon-scented plant? Or does it matter?

Leaves are wrinkled, roughly serrated, completely hairless, and opposite. The stem is four-sided, like most of the mint family, and has a few sparse hairs. Even the gentlest touch gives off a scent almost identical to the mosquito citronella candles sold in stores. It is growing in clay soil, full sun with late afternoon shade and persisted through our zone 8 winter (with a little snow/freezing temps). In fact, it snowed last week and is putting out lots of healthy new growth this week!

If someone can instruct me on posting photos, I'd be happy to do so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon balm or ???

You could google images of the plants you mentioned above along with lemon-scented geranium and compare to what you have.
To post photos here, open a free account at a hosting site like Photobucket(what I use). Transfer your photos to an album there, then copy the HTML code below each photo and paste it directly into your message. Check the message preview to see your photo in your message before submitting your message. HTH

o

Certainly sounds like lemon balm.

o

I agree, lemon balm.

o

Ditto.

Here's the info on posting pictures.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

o

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to start using it! We pulled out the food dehydrator recently... I think it's time to preserve some of that lemon-y goodness :)

o

You don't really need a dehydrator. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It will dry perfectly well lying on the kitchen counter or hanging up, as will most herbs.

o

Flora- here in rainy western oregon, i've actually had mold issues when trying to hang dry herbs. they almost always come in wet, and then the natural humidity discourages drying quickly enough.
It might be overkill, but at least I know I'm going to get something out of it if i use the dryer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here