Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquaponic/Hydroponic Herbs

Posted by DTLHerbs 5b (dtlherbsltd@gmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 14:06

We volunteer at the local high school, working with students in the botany program.
They have several hydroponic beds where they grow lettuce, and recently installed an aquaponic system.
They have asked me to help them introduce some herbs to their project.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these methods, who can recommend which herbs might do best.
Also I am concerned that perhaps the nutrient rich waters that grow lush lettuce will be too rich for herbs to develop strong flavors, and we may end up with lush, leafy, weak tasting herbs.
Any input would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquaponic/Hydroponic Herbs

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 10:19

If you can grow medicinal herbs, perhaps goto kola would do well. It likes damp and humid conditions, has no contraindications or side effects that I know of, and is considered to be a superlative healer.

Jan

o

Thanks Jan, I'll look into that one.

They want the focus on culinary herbs so that they can have the students sell them at the farmers market.

But there is a lot of space, so we can probably fit some medicinals in too.

o

I'm thinking that your herbs will respond normally to a basic nutrient solution. Herbs are a favorite culinary crop these days...commercially and in our homes. Hydroponic basil, parsley, sage, thyme, dill, and coriander are commonly found in the grocery stores.

o

Mint and watercress may also be viable hydroponic herbs.

FataMorgana

o

Absolutely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here