Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greek Oregano Leaves Turning Purple

Posted by gardenathome (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 14:21

Is this normal?

And the stems of our creeping thyme are turning purple as well. Is that a sign of overwatering perhaps?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greek Oregano Leaves Turning Purple

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 22:04

On your "my page" you do not list your zone or location. This would be helpful.
If you have had temperatures that are low, toward 40 degrees, many young herb and vegatable plants cease photosynthesis and don't produce green chlorphyll, exposing the other colors in the plant. Has it been very cool since planting? That may be the problem. Only a guess.
hortster

o

My (regular) oregano turned completely purple over the winter. It's been warmer for a few weeks now and it's turning back to green. I've been using it normally, with no apparent ill effects to the plant, recipes, or me.
I'll take hortster's word on the explanation; purple pigment seems common in the mint family (see: purple basil, purple deadnettle, etc), and the temperatures seem about right.

o

Hi, Hortster and Lalibellule! Thank you so much. It sounds like the cool weather we have in the evenings is indeed the cause. The thyme stems are still purple and a few more of the Greek Oregano leaves but hopefully this will all turn back to green once the weather is warmer again! Thank you. :-)

o

I once had arugula pick up some color from the plastic pot I had it in......

o

Gardenathome it looks like you are in zone 9/10? Why aren't they in the soil? The do great here and north

Thyme plants are native to the Mediterranean and is considered to be hardy in zones 3 - 7. It is prone to disease and insect infestation in the deep south and we usually don't recommend it to our southern gardening friends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here