Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge Rosemary bush-Can it be divided ?

Posted by caren-2009 7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 14:29

Hey to all! Can rosemary be divided by roots or is it a single stemmed plant? This one is so big and has got to be moved from it's current location.I was hoping to separate it to have matching sized plants to put on each end of a fence in my back yard..Thanks for any help,CJC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge Rosemary bush-Can it be divided ?

Probably a single root plant. Crawl under the rosemary and look at how many stems are coming up from the soil.

o

Short answer - no, it can't be divided.

However, you can remove as many branches as you like, and use them as cuttings to propagate. Cutting can be quite large, but 'take' better if they are not from older wood. From one branch, you might get 20 or more cuttings. Heel cuttings are best.

As a general rule, when pruning any plant, it's best not to remove more than one-third of total growth. But rosemary is quite a determined plant and tolerates pruning better than most - it's an excellent topiary plant - so even with drastic cut-back, it is likely to grow back again.

People forget just how BIG rosemary can get!

o

I agree that the answer is NO to dividing. I find that the easiest way to get more plants is to gently bend branches to the ground (if not already there) and pin them down; within a month or two the part that's pinned will have rooted, then this can be cut off the parent and transplanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here