Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

Using different types of mints?

JoAnn_Fla
14 years ago

I have some Orange, Chocolate & Peppermint so far, how do you use yours and what other flavors do you like?

Comments (3)

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

My favorite is spearmint. I use it like you would peppermint, but it's milder. Makes a nice tea :)

• abq_bob
    14 years ago

Spearmint and Chocolate are my favorites. Peppermint has a bit too much of a bite for my taste. Mainly I use in teas and desserts.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

You've chosen 'sweet' mints, very suitable for choppping up and adding to ice cream, or sweet sauces, or biscuits (cookies) or cakes or other dessert-y type things. If you don't want bits of green stuff in your food, you can always infuse leaves in the milk or water called for in a recipe.

My favourite mint is also spearmint. That can be used in meat marinades, for mint sauce (great with lamb), to make tabouleh. Goes well with peas or carrots and in a potato salad or with boiled new potatoes. Try using it with calamari in a salad! Spearmint goes well with fish, lamb, or chicken.

Or you can try these:

Frosted Mint Leaves
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    castor sugar
    mint leaves

Lightly brush each mint leaf with the egg white, roll lightly in the castor sugar and place the leave onto a cake rack. Leave for about an hour while the egg white dries with its crust of sugar. Use to decorate cakes, pavlova etc or as an after-dinner treat.

Mint Cordial
    1 large bunch mint
    juice of 2 lemons
    500g sugar
    600ml water
    juice of 1 orange
    1 cup pineapple juice

Pick off mint leaves, crush thoroughly, add lemon juice and stand aside for one hour. Boil the water and sugar to a syrup, pour over mint and lemon. Cool and strain. Add orange and pineapple juices and serve ice cold with a sprig of fresh mint in each glass.

Mint Sorbet
    1 bunch of mint leaves, as many varieties as you like
    150ml water
    juice of 1 lemon
    125g castor sugar
    2 egg whites

Boil the sugar and water for 5 minutes, cool. Put the mint leaves into a blender with the syrup and blend well, then put the mixture through a fine sieve. Add the strained lemon juice and freeze until just beginning to harden. Return it to the blender and blend well. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites and return to the freezer in an airtight container. Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Add Peppermint leaves to fruit juices and fruit salads, sprinkled onto pea soup, carrots and zucchini. Add a leaf to a cup of hot chocolate.

Brush mint leaves with melted chocolate and when set, use as an after-dinner treat, or to decorate cakes, desserts etc.