Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1985eagle

Herbs in Pots

1985Eagle
11 years ago

I am thinking about trying to raise some culinary herbs outside in large pots. I am in Louisville KY zone 6A. Which herbs do you folks think I could raise in the pots and in full sun. All suggestions are needed as this is new to me I have never tried to raise Herbs. I have had gardens for many years but this is a first. Type of soil and etc. I would like to set the pots on the concrete patio but if necessary I could set them on a raised bench.

Comments (8)

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

What kind of herbs do you like to use? That would help us make some suggestions.

FataMorgana

• 1985Eagle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am wanting Herbs to cook with.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Mint, thyme, rosemary, sage should all do well in pots. These are perennials that when treated well will keep growing for years. Basil is an annual that can do well in pots. Annual herbs with long tap roots, like dill and parsley, are trickier since will need large and deep pots.

FataMorgana

• act2
    11 years ago

Anise Hyssop loves it in full-sun in my zone 6b/zone 7 garden. I have it growing in pots and in the ground. It also grows in half-shade but prefers full-sun. I find it will self-seed where it loves being the best. It has a licorice/anise flavor. I use it in herbal teas, making anise flavored sugar for sugar cookies in the winter time. The flowers give a nice anise taste to fruit salads and regular salads. I also add the flowers and leaves to compound butters, which I then slice and freeze, so that I can add to grilled vegetables or fish dishes all year long. Bees and butterflies "LOVE" this plant!

for more info on Anise Hyssop:
    http://www.motherearthliving.com/plant-profile/anise-hyssop.aspx

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

I am growing all my culinary herbs in containers which are housed in the concrete side yard. Last year they did OK, so I've added more this year: bay laurel, thyme, chives, dill, sage, lemon balm, oregano, lemon verbena, parsley, spearmint, peppermint, etc.

They must be planted in big pots to do well AND get enough water.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

Oops! Got posted twice.

This post was edited by westelle on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:12

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Sweetleaf/stevia is a good easy one to grow, and works wonders for salads and soups.

• opal52
    11 years ago

For good info. on soils to use, check out the Container Gardening Forum. The most important thing I have learned about growing anything in containers is that they must drain freely. I have successfully grown chives, thyme, tarragon, mints, basils, oregano, sage and rosemary in containers. Parsley and cilantro are inexpensive in our local farmers market so I do not bother trying to grow them. Plus they are difficult to grow here because of the heat. You may have better luck in your zone if you want to try those. If you use fresh herbs for cooking, growing them for yourself is one sure way to save money. Small bundles of Rosemary at the local grocers here cost a couple of dollars.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations