Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to prune last summer's thyme

Posted by charmed MD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 16:11

Now that Spring is here, I've been cleaning out the little (2' by 5') garden bed in front of my house. I'm not sure what to do with they thyme form last year -- it's basically just a bunch of woody stems with last year's leaves still on. I almost decided just to cut it back nearly to the ground and hope for the best, but thought I'd check here for advice first. I'm not an experienced or dedicated gardener -- I just have the little front bed and a small backyard in the city -- but I've been trying to make things as nice as possible. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to prune last summer's thyme

I prune mine back a lot, but not to the ground. Like any shrub you need to leave enough stem so there is something to set buds.

o

My thyme's only a year old and about 3 inches tall. Advice on pruning please? I've never pruned anything.

o

3" tall? I'm assuming it's made a mat. Just sheer off the ends, which probably look a little ragged and bare anyway. How about a little fertilizer? Just a little tho'.

o

I have both creeping and upright Thyme's and always wait until I see new growth and then prune back just above this. This year my German Winter acted evergreen and since I pruned them nicely last fall so I won't again until I need shear back flowers...late spring when I will prune back pretty hard.
The Creeping Thyme (T. serypllum) was a little ragged looking... new growh was emerging from beneath and I just finished pruning it all back to this.
Upright Thyme does much better when regularily harvested or sheared back throughout the season...I haven't had any woody plants in the 3 years I've had them.

Vera

o

Prune in early summer following the blooming phase.

Prune in late fall to remove long woody stems.

Shape prune whenever, but definitely do a spring clean prune to remove dead areas and to shape the plant.

Herbs like haircuts

o

My Thyme grows upright. I have never be able to properly ID it. I prune hard in late spring. It is in the process of being trained as bonsai.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here