Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smallage / Leaf celery

Posted by Lorabell 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 16:11

I've been looking for a source for smallage seeds. Tried ordering several weeks ago from Heritage harvest but they returned my $ and no longer ship to US.

Any help would be appreciated. It's one of those herbs that I grew up with making soups and such and would really like to include it in my herb garden again...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smallage / Leaf celery

This is one that I would like to find as well. I love growing the old-fashioned herbs, collecting old cookbooks and using the herbs in the old recipes.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 10:43

wow - I've never heard or seen of smallage, and I do peruse the herbal seed catalogs frequently.

Is it similar to lovage?

o

Lovage and smallage have similar taste but smallage is a more ground level growing plant. It comes in both flat and curled leaves. Lovage is a giant!

I was able to get some seeds (I posted this on Heirlooms also and they helped with this link) http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=1286 ..I purchased the amsterdam variety which is what I remember. They also had the curled leaf variety.

Anyway, I should get about 75 seeds in a couple of weeks if either of you would like 25 or so of the seeds, throw me an e-mail.

o

Lorabell, I sent you an e-mail.

o
RE: RE: Smallage / Leaf celery

Lorabell, I sent you an e-mail.

o

I planted some of the smallage seeds you sent me yesterday and can't wait to see the little sprouts! Thank you again.

o

I have my first little smallage sprouts today - I'm so excited! Thanks again, Barb

o

How did the smallage growing go, please? What was the weather like, and what kind of soil did you have? Thank you.

o

Smallage Celery seed is available in a place perhaps not may would look.... McCormick Celery Seed ( herb section at Wal Mart) cost $2.95. See link attached.

For the amount of seed in that 0.95 ounce bottle, you could raise a full acre of smallage.

http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Herbs-and-Spices/Spices/Celery-Seed

o

Has anyone actually grown McCormick seed? Most seed sold for spice had been treated to prevent or discourage germination. I'm curious as to what kind of germination rate it would have.

o

My garden is still too cold and snow/frost covered to see whether the smallage you gave me survived the winter. We're expecting a little better weather next week so maybe I will be able to get out to the herb garden and check it out.

o

Richter's has it.

o

Still no sign of the smallage I planted last spring, but I had some seeds left and sowed them today. Here's hoping!

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 22:41

I've grown Amsterdam cutting celery. If you can use this, there are several suppliers of it out there. I think I got my seeds from Renee's Garden.

Jan

o

Is this what you mean? I've been growing this for several years.

Here is a link that might be useful: cutting celery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here