Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amino_x

Starting Peppermint and Spearmint Seeds. Help!

Amino_X
18 years ago

How do you get Peppermint and Spearmint to sprout?

I have started 2 flats of both Peppermint and Spearmint (one flat was in my trusty Park's Bio-Dome that would sprout rocks... nada).

I sowed the seeds just on the top, didn't cover, kept them in the house at room temperature (about 70º-75º) which works fine for everything else, but not the mint.

Am I doing something wrong or did I just get a bad lot of seeds?

Thank You

Amino-X

Comments (10)

• teryaki
    18 years ago

Don't grow mint from seed unless you're really adventurous. They hybridize like mad, they WON'T be what you want if you grow from seed. Get a little plant of each locally, or even better, get cuttings from established plants.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

yeah... I've heard that mint seeds aren't very viable. Which is okay as there are so many available in nurseries.

• Amino_X
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah So it's better to buy established plants. :) Thanks!! :D

(Edited to add)

Well, I guess they must have heard me typing this in because I just looked into the Bio-Dome again (remember how I said it could sprout rocks?) and they're up. ALL of them LOL!

Thanks again and Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Maybe they just needed some threatening. :)

• opqdan
    18 years ago

Oh boy are you in for a treat now.

From what I gathered in your post, you have more than a single mint plant. Those things spread so crazily, that in 5 years, you'll have so much that everybody you know will cross the street when they see you, just to avoid taking more. And that's from one plant!

I'm still trying to get rid of the stuff. Somehow it ended up growing in my main garden, when I tilled the soil I broke it up into little bits. I'll be darned if those little bits didn't each grow into their own plant. They're like hydras I tell you, cut off one head and it grows 2.

• baci
    18 years ago

Personally, I think it is good to try & grow mint from seed. That way if you ever get the chance to get your hands on an exotic mint that is available only via seed you have the skill to start it. There is a certain time of year in my zone where everything germinates  about late summer. That is when my mint germinates.

• tucker303
    18 years ago

I put mine in large black garden nursery pots and it helps keep them under control (you still need to watch them tho). Taste the mints after awhile. I was told, depending on the mint seed, the quality may not be what you want (meaning...a too mild or strange mint taste). If you find you like them...try some others too (like orange etc). I traded for some recently and am looking forward to using them!

• tucker303
    18 years ago

I should add, I plant the nursery pot in the ground with a 1-2" lip (depending on the amount of mulch). For those living in drier areas...I am going to do this with my hostas and other shade plants too. They look so sad in the mid summer and I want to be conscious of water usage too...so it may help them.

• jimsueperu_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi I'm here in the US, visiting family, and would like to take back some mint to grow where we live in the jungle in Peru. I'm looking at seeds, but it sounds like they might be hard to grow. Is taking cuttings back an option?

• Christopher Reilly
    11 years ago

I just started some mint from seed for the first time. It came up in just a few days but I can't say I've tasted it yet. I started it in some jiffy pots in a sealed tubberware container (on my heater vent so it would stay warm). I didn't have to do anything all that special, like use some formulated/fortified potting mix. I have read elsewhere that this stuff is pretty invasive once it gets established. I got the seeds from a nursery so I can't say much about starting wild seeds though.