Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano?

Posted by justmeinflorida Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 16:36

Sorry I'm new at this...I have some basil, parsley, oregano & cilantro and I'm wondering when is the right time to start harvesting them? I've read that you should snip them after the dew is gone but before it gets to hot. Is there a certain height I should be waiting for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano?

They say harvesting herbs is best done in the early morning hours. Basil and Cilantro may be pruned as needed. As for Oregano it will become very large if given the room it would like. The right time is when the plants get large enough that they are worth harvesting so of us get in a hurry others seem to let them go to seed before harvesting. The Oregano should be fine once it gets large enough for harvest. During the summer it gets quite tall and harvesting will help keep it from being too leggy but if you leave the ones near the edge it will spread but in the middle you will keep from having to do some pruning to clear out those dead runners that die off in the cold weather. In less than 3 years mine has gone from a 3 inch pot to over 4 feet by 4 feet without any help from me. I find I either need to prune it more or find homes for all the extra to friends and family.
Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here