Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning purple sage??

Posted by heavenlyfarm PA 6b (free2be_any1@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 16:56

Hi,

Okay I have two patches of purple sage that I love but both have given me problems the past year! The herb garden at the front of my house is the location of my oldest sage. Its started to be where only the top parts of the stalks have new fresh lush growth and the bottom parts are just woody with no leaves or anything. Last year, I tried to prune out the really bad stalks but am wondering this year how to handle it? Can I cut it back to about ground level to help rejuvenate it so it doesn't look gnarled and old? or am I better off, just pulling it out and replacing with seedlings or cuttings?

A little side garden in the back of my house also had purple sage but it is relatively new and looked spindly last year. Can I prune it back now to produce bushier plants this year?
~michael

P.S. This is my first year, really trying hard to make everything look great and spectacular in my garden so any help is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning purple sage??

If you can possibly help it, don't pull it out and replace it with seedlings. Sage is all about the roots. I know I'm coming from a very different climate than Pennsylvania, but here one can get away with a seriously vicious pruning and get an improved plant in just a few months. However lopping it down to the ground is asking for a dead plant. Avoid too much water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here