Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to purchase rue

Posted by bohemianchelle Southwestern Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 16:56

I am interested in purchasing rue, preferably plants, but seed if need be. I found a site last year for a nursery here in Indiana that was selling it, but can't locate the site again.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to purchase rue

Companion Plants has both the plant and seed on the web site. I haven't ordered from them before but Garden Watchdog says they are highly rated so they're probably fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Plants

o

You can always order rue and other herbs from Richters.

o

Thanks for the responses! I am thinking about using rue as a feral cat deterrent; now I need to scope out some good full sun areas for it. FWIW, since Richter's is in Canada, U.S. law prohibits them from selling this plant in the United States, due its purported medicinal properties.

o

I believe Richter's won't ship rue plants to the U.S. due to it being considered an obnoxious weed or possibly causing skin sensitivity in cattle, not it being a medicinal plant. You might also check Horizon Herbs for plants.

o

It can cause skin problems in humans too - many experience a reaction akin to poison ivy, especially if the exposure occurs in full sunlight. A good idea to handle rue with gloves.

o

I have rue seeds, lots of them, and will be starting them soon. I had a very hard time finding the seeds so if you'd be interested I could send you some. lmk.
Blessed Be,
J'Lynn

o

There is a place in Avon, IN that sells rue. It may be a far drive for you though. They are seasonal, not open yet but last year they had a very nice selection of herbs. Mine did survive over winter so I may have some later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Farm Market

o

v have rue sent me the quantity you want

o

I used to grow rue and did not find that the foliage bothered me. One of my plants was over 10 years old. I never wore gloves when handling the leaves, flowers, and roots. I am interested in growing more plants to deter vectors of tick borne diseases such as lyme which I have had twice. I am hoping to purchase rue plants in the spring from Hartman's Herb Farm in Barre, MA.

o

I used to purchase rue from nurseries, but found that they would usually die within a year or so. Then a friend gave me a few rue plants and those did very well! I've had them ever since...if one does eventually die years later, there is always a seeded volunteer or two around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here