Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bohemianchelle

Where to purchase rue

bohemianchelle
17 years ago

I am interested in purchasing rue, preferably plants, but seed if need be. I found a site last year for a nursery here in Indiana that was selling it, but can't locate the site again.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• makalu_gw
    17 years ago

Companion Plants has both the plant and seed on the web site. I haven't ordered from them before but Garden Watchdog says they are highly rated so they're probably fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Plants

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

You can always order rue and other herbs from Richters.

• bohemianchelle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I am thinking about using rue as a feral cat deterrent; now I need to scope out some good full sun areas for it. FWIW, since Richter's is in Canada, U.S. law prohibits them from selling this plant in the United States, due its purported medicinal properties.

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

I believe Richter's won't ship rue plants to the U.S. due to it being considered an obnoxious weed or possibly causing skin sensitivity in cattle, not it being a medicinal plant. You might also check Horizon Herbs for plants.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

It can cause skin problems in humans too - many experience a reaction akin to poison ivy, especially if the exposure occurs in full sunlight. A good idea to handle rue with gloves.

• jlynn
    17 years ago

I have rue seeds, lots of them, and will be starting them soon. I had a very hard time finding the seeds so if you'd be interested I could send you some. lmk.
    Blessed Be,
    J'Lynn

• treefarmer
    17 years ago

There is a place in Avon, IN that sells rue. It may be a far drive for you though. They are seasonal, not open yet but last year they had a very nice selection of herbs. Mine did survive over winter so I may have some later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Farm Market

• paulraj
    11 years ago

v have rue sent me the quantity you want

• chervil2
    11 years ago

I used to grow rue and did not find that the foliage bothered me. One of my plants was over 10 years old. I never wore gloves when handling the leaves, flowers, and roots. I am interested in growing more plants to deter vectors of tick borne diseases such as lyme which I have had twice. I am hoping to purchase rue plants in the spring from Hartman's Herb Farm in Barre, MA.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I used to purchase rue from nurseries, but found that they would usually die within a year or so. Then a friend gave me a few rue plants and those did very well! I've had them ever since...if one does eventually die years later, there is always a seeded volunteer or two around.

• Gloria Sharron
    7 years ago

I live in Canada and want to get a few plants or seeds cause the cats around here are killing all my foliage by spraying them I am spending so much replanting stuff and am getting frustrated. I have tried 3 or 4 different things but to no avail. HELP

• CherylM Leiby
    7 years ago

If you do a little searching you might find some in your own back yard or your neighbors back yard.

• Gloria Sharron
    7 years ago

If it was in mine or my neighbors back yard I wouldnt have all the cats in my flower beds

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Gloria, I'm afraid Rue won't make any difference to the visiting cats, even if it is in your own beds. The only thing that will really work against them is a physical barrier such as wire netting or twiggy prunings spread over the garden. Or lurk with a hose and blast them when you spot them. Maybe they'll learn. Cat thread.