Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro help!

Posted by caitsoc6 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 17:17

I've started growing my cilantro indoors, it gets plenty of sun, but lately it's started to droop. Why is this happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro help!

I'm no expert but it looks like a lot of very leggy sprouts meaning It's probably not getting enough sun. In my experience, cilantro needs tons of hot sun because I've always had somewhat leggy cilantro.

o

Are you sure that is cilantro?

FataMorgana

o

Yes I'm positive it's cilantro I tried one of the leaves and it was good! But they're falling now!

o

Too wet, not enough light, too crowded... Any of these could be the culprits and are often problems for people growing indoor herbs.

If you have seed left, do you have a place you could direct sow some seed outdoors? You would probably meet with more success in doing that.

FataMorgana

o

And if that is basil alongside it is also too crowded. Basil transplants better than cilantro and you can transplant in little clumps.

o

You started way too many seeds together. If you pull it up, how are the roots? And did you underwater? I've had cilantro bowl over from being too dry, too.
Like Fata asked, I'm wondering if that is actually cilantro too. If it is, then did it ever grow true leaves? I ask because they all look like cotyledon only.....no actual cilantro leaves.

I would start over at this point in new soil. I'm not sure of the pot size but if it's about a 6" pot, I'd plant about 8 seeds total spaced out and go from there.

I'm attaching a photo of my cilantro -- note the leaves? This was three seeds started in separate cells and I bunched them together when transplanting. Got really lucky as I have never successfully transplanted this before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here