Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing herbs together.

Posted by kamv (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 17:29

I use sweet basil, garlic chives, fernlike dill and cilantro. I would like to know which of these I can put in the same container. I am so running out of room and would like to combine what I can down to less containers.
Thanks
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing herbs together.

It will need to be a very large pot indeed to take all those. It's always best to keep one plant per pot, because one will always out-compete the others.

Basil can get quite large (mine get to 1.5 metres tall and more than 2 metres around) and needs a much richer soil than any of the others; garlic chives grows into a fair sized clump and will fill a pot in no time; and you want both dill and coriander to self-seed to keep up supplies - so they're best in a large pot each by themselves.

o

Chives are also a perennial, whereas the rest are annuals. They should get their own pot where they will live for years (and when you repot you'll find it's almost solid roots and little bulbs).

Dill and basil will tower over cilantro, so cilantro will also probably need it's own pot. You may be able to grow it around the base of the dill since dill lets a lot of light through, but basil has a pretty dense canopy and won't let plants under it do well. Cilantro also needs to be succession planted to provide a continuous supply, several dedicated pots (1g is fine) aught to do planted 1-2 weeks apart.

o

Chives as a perennial, definitely their own pot.

Basil will grow and produce throughout the entire growing season and put it in its own pot.

Cilantro and dill, if growing for the greens not the seeds, can be resown multiple times through out the season and would make the most sense to combine. Height only is a factor if you want to let the plants mature and go to seed. Most folks grow them only for the greens so I wouldn't worry about dill's height. You'll be harvesting them away long before they get mature sizes.

FataMorgana

o

Dill and cilantro can't be grown together, because dill likes hot, and cilantro doesn't. Some dill is only 12 -16 inches tall, whereas cilantro can go to seed and be 3 feet all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here