Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Herb growing

Posted by amyzi 8-ish (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 17:42

Hi! As stated, I'm new to growing herbs and have been wondering if they are naturally slower to germinate and grow than most. I planted caraway, basil, tarragon, rosemary, and chives all at the same time about three weeks ago, and my chives haven't even come up yet. The rosemary and caraway have only come up in the last few days. Am I doing something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Herb growing

With 20,000 known herbs on the planet, you cannot expect them all to behave in the same ways, or to have the same requirements.

Basically, you'll just have to do some homework to learn about the herbs you want to grow! But you'll find the following helpful (hopefully!):

Caraway: In regions with short summers, sow seeds outside as soon as the soil can be worked. In warm climates, sow them outside in late summer or autumn for bloom the next season. Sow only fairly fresh seeds for best results. Seeds are slow to germinate (21 days or more) and should be sown direct because seedlings do not transplant well.

Basil: Seeds usually germinate in 7-10 days but can take several weeks. Ideal temperature for germination is 13-16C. Seeds need light to germinate and should be just barely covered.

Tarragon: French Tarragon is not usually propagated by seeds, as most are sterile. If you've got seeds, I'm prepared to wager that you have Russian Tarragon - an almost tasteless weed. Do a search in this forum for some further reading on the matter!

Rosemary: Seed is slow to germinate and not always true to the cultivar. Seed should be fresh. Ideal sowing temperature is 20C. Seeds need light to germinate and should be lightly covered.

Chives: Seed can be sown, 5mm deep, in late spring if planting directly outside and take 7-14 days to germinate and 75-90 days to be ready for harvest. Ideal temperature for germination is 20C, and germination occurs in less than 2 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here