Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succesion Planting vs. Pruning vs. ????

Posted by jimster z7a MA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:48

Herbs such as basil and cilantro tend to bolt sooner than I would like. What are your experiences and suggestions for keeping up production throughout the summer?

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succesion Planting vs. Pruning vs. ????

What I do depends on the herb. Cilantro does well with succession planting. Basil gets the flower buds pinched back or cut off when I am cutting leaves for use. It encourages the buds below to branch out giving me a fuller plant.

o

You've got two different types--cilantro is really a cool season grower and will bolt in heat regardless. Just don't plan on it in the mid of summer heat. There are some varieties that are supposed to be more bolt resistant, but once it gets warm it will bolt.

Basil depends on the variety. Some flower (Thai) much faster, and pinching/pruning will help.

o

Start basil indoors and do some direct sowing to have basil for most all of our Northern summers. Regular basil is so easy to come by that I suggest trying basil varieties and flavors harder to come by. Thai basil is my favorite culinary basil. Try others like lemon basil, cinnamon basil, etc. Holy basil, not a basil to cook with, makes an awesome tea.

Cilantro - plant in the spring and later summer/early fall for best harvest. Let some spring planted cilantro set seed for coriander (the seed spice) or harvest seed for planting more. Letting it self-sow is also effective.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here