Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradogrower33

Parsley leaves drooping

coloradogrower33
13 years ago

During the day, some of the leaves on my parsley plant start drooping. It does get hot in the room where I keep it, but when I turn on the fan or open the window it perks back up after a few hours. Any idea what's causing this? My basil and oregano seem to be doing fine...

Comments (10)

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Sounds like a moisture issue. See if the plant is rootbound; you may not have teased out the roots when you transplanted it, or it may need a larger pot. If not, you may have it in peat-based growing mix that is never getting moistened properly. Sink the pot to 3/4 of its total height in a basin of lukewarm water, weighting down the soil ball slightly if necessary, until the soil is saturated. Then water it thoroughly whenever the top inch of soil dries out; repeat the dunking procedure occasionally if needed.

• coloradogrower33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really? I have it in regular potting soil, and it gets watered daily...could it be not liking the heat?

• biscgolf
    13 years ago

more likely to be the heat... does it ever dry out? if not, water less frequently.

• seysonn
    13 years ago

why dont you plant your parsley outside, in pot or in the garden. Parsley is a cold hardy plant.

• coloradogrower33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would if I could, but here we can get snow into May, and my last frost date is May 2..

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Snow is not going to kill parsley. Although they might not
    grow if it is very cold. My parsleys have been in the garden for the last two winters. Temprs. sometimes drops to mid teen-F.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Heat, lack of water, lack of humidity...all are common indoor problems.

Zone 5 still has alot of cold weather yet to go. You can't move the indoor plant outside yet. No matter how hardy parsley is (and it is hardy), you can't take a pampered indoor plant used to household temperatures and move it to freezing outdoor temperatures. Wait until the weather gets more mild and you start planting other plants outside before trying to harden off your indoor plant.

Planting parsley directly outside is best. I let a whole row of parsley go to seed last year. The profusion of blossoms followed by copious amounts of seeds mean that they are tiny parsley plants all over in that area of the garden. I can see them green and waiting under some of the debris and remains of their parent plants. As you can see, they over winter fine outdoors all by themselves. :)

FataMorgana

• coloradogrower33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well in that case, I might as well start hardening off my parsley now. It's in the 70s right now.:)

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Coloradagrower,
    Of course you have to harden up an indoor plant before planting in the garden. 70F, is more than warm for any vegetable. But what about night temps? anythig above 40F should be fine for your parsley to acclimate. After that it can go down to teens, snow on them, no problem.

• coloradogrower33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It gets into the 30s at night...could I just put it out during the day until the nights warm up?