Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cilantro lifespan

Posted by cloverhouse 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 18:08

I have a cilantro question I hope someone can help with: I was just out looking around in my garden and it looks like my cilantro plants from last summer are still alive and growing. They've been under snowcover for months, but we've had a thaw in the last few days that's uncovered them. I know this happens with parsley, but is cilantro a biennial?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cilantro lifespan

Coriander (cilantro) is an annual, and a very short-lived one at that. In a warm or hot climate, its entire life-span can be as short as two weeks - which is why successive plantings are advised for a constant supply of leaves before it bolts.

I suggest the plants you see have germinated from dropped seeds from last year's plants. Such short-lived plants grow at a rate of knots!

o

Cilantros in my zone can overwinter like parsley, IFF they had benn planted in the fall not in the spring.
The spring planted ones will bolt, f.l.o.w.e.r and grow seeds.
Maybe in zone 6,where you are, they never bolt. They like real COOL weather, just like parsley.

o

Mine are still alive from last fall. If it's cool enough they will live. They bolt when it gets warm.

o

They are fun to see in the winter since they stay green under the snow unlike so many other things.

What I usually see is that late-planted/self-sown cilantro will survive the winter to die without bolting when the weather warms in the Spring. But whether they bolt or not, I would not expect much from them come spring. Expect to plant new cilantro.

FataMorgana

o

Cloverhouse, I have the same thing in my garden. Though the cilantro is matted down from the weight of 3 ft of snow for over a month. I really don't expect anything to come from them, but it will be interesting to watch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here