Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What herb will tolerate morning shade and afternoon sun?

Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 18:40

We have a lovely little spot on the side of our house where we're going to put a small bistro table. I'd like to define the area with plants, ideally herbs. Problem is it's shady most of the day (west facing), and then gets late afternoon sun. Are there any herbs that can handle this?

I'm in Zone 7b (I think - San Antonio, TX), so summers are long and hot. All my other herbs are in the back of the house, facing north. They get nice morning sun and afternoon shade and are in pots so I can move them around if necessary. If I put there on the west side, I could do pots but they'd be too bulky to move.

I can plant something else, but I'd like to make use of the spot for herbs if possible (ie something useful).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What herb will tolerate morning shade and afternoon sun?

Rosemary

o

Culinary or medicinal herb? Or either?

FataMorgana

o

Basil would also be another possibility.

o

Oregano - mine is on the west side and has quadrupled in size, comes back every spring. Also have garlic, bee balm and chives in the same bed.

o

My thyme is grown like that, but has full sun until about 2PM and then shade the rest of the day.

o

My herb garden gets about 3 hours of sun (afternoon sun) a day and does very well. It also get reflected light as it is against the house with very light siding. I grow tarragon, basil, lavender, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, parsley, chives and am blanking on the rest.

o

There is a very good herb nursery in the San Antonio area. It use to be on the web, but don't remember the name as it was years ago.

o

• Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 20:30

Thanks for all the great suggestions. This is good to know. I may move some of my already potted herbs to the spot and see how they do.

o

All of them,I think.
It does not matter moring or afternoon sun, as long as they get enough of it, the more the better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here