Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of more cilantro guidance

Posted by NinjaTarzan none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 18:53

Here's my poor cilantro sprouts. They were doing fine until a couple of days ago. I have them in this seed starter which I keep inside at night, and outside in sunlight for most of the day. We had a cold spell of a few days, and I'm wondering if that's not my culprit.

However, I am a newbie to this, and so far have been found to have a brown thumb. :(

Help please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of more cilantro guidance

They look completely dried out. Have you been watering them thoroughly? They are in peat pots which absorb a lot of moisture.

o

Way too dry. I personally hate peat pots. Been given lots of them over the years and hated using them each time.

If started and kept outside the entire time, the odd cold period (so long as it isn't something like single digits F) shouldn't effect cilantro. It is pretty cold tolerant.

Since cilantro **HATES** to be transplanted, direct sow into your garden beds or get a larger pot that the seedlings can grow into and stay in for the duration.

FataMorgana

o

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was worried I had been giving them too much water, but apparently not! I'll try keeping them wetter.

o

You need to post your zone as members can be of more help. Why are you starting them inside this time of the year? Or are you putting them outside?

o

You could check out the nice write-up on cilantro at the website below. Click on "Techniques", then on "Cilantro." Generally speaking, I would wait until the plants can germinate outside, then sow directly into the garden. They germinate over a period of three to four weeks, so keep them moist the whole time. Usually two seedlings grow from each seed, like beets, so you should thin to the strongest one as they begin to compete with each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

o

I always direct sow them in the ground.
If you wanted to grow them in a pot, just sow them right there. I would also sow maybe double the number. You can just thin them later. It is ok if they grow in clumps too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here