Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
multiple growths, multiple problems

Posted by walkie74 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 19:05

Hi guys,

I'm currently growing parsley in a grow box, along with tomato and hot pepper seedlings. I've got 4 9w bulbs as grow lights (I can go up to six), and the ambient temp is around 80 in the box. I have fans I can connect, if needed, and I plan on watering around once a week. I'll probably transplant in four weeks, around the middle of April. My question is this: Is my setup too hot for my parsley?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multiple growths, multiple problems

80 is very hot for parsley. But what I am mainly thinking on reading your post is why are you starting parsley indoors in Zone 9 at all? Parsley grows a tap root and although it can be transplanted it is prone to bolting. If you direct sow you have not transplanting worries and no overheating worries. Parsley comes from temperate climates. Tomatoes and Peppers from tropical climates. Knowing their antecedents is a guide to knowing how to care for them.

o

Here's the problem: My Zone 9 temps, at the moment, can range from 55-47, with the occasional 60 degree day. That's a little chilly, even for parsley. Plus, I live in an apartment with very little sun on my deck-- it may like partial sun, but I think it needs more than three hours' worth. And to tell you the truth, I'm not too worried about bolting. The way we eat parsley around here, I'm just hoping it gets a chance to root before it's devoured. :)

o

Right, I see. You didn't tell us you had no outside garden space originally.The problem is that you have the parsley in with the heat lovers. 80 is OK for germination but the plants need much lower temperatures after that. Your current temps are fine for parsley plants (once hardened off). Mine has been outside all winter and my temps are very similar at the moment. Is there any way you can prick out the parsley into different containers and start hardening them off? Your sun situation, while maybe not ideal, will not faze parsley imo. If you are happy to allow bolting you'll need to keep sowing in succession to provide new plants or you won't have any parsley later in the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here