Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cold_weather_is_evil

Bad Borage Taste

I planted borage (and a few other flowers) to attract bees, and later read that it makes a good tea. I don't know the definition of "good tea" with borage since I made a fresh chopped leaf infusion in hot water and it tasted "off" to me. Does the taste differ much if using dried leaves? Is this plant OK to dry in the upside-down hanging way?

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I've only munched the flowers and have never tried it as a tea. Given the taste of the flowers and leaves (which are too bristly for my like), I can't imagine it would be a good tea. Speaking of bees, I think borage is an excellent companion planting for pole beans. See my article below.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting with Pole Beans

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Borage normally has a cucumber like taste. It is consumed raw or added to cold drinks or soups.

• jean2
    10 years ago

In Patricia Lanza's book Lasagna Gardening with Herbs it says not to eat leaves they have compounds that can cause liver damage. I love the flowers. They attract bees like crazy. I know borage is great planted with strawberries.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

What is the effect on strawberries which is considered to be good, jean2?

• eibren
    10 years ago

The traditional herb Alcanet, now mainly used as a dye, is in the same family (Boraginaceae)

As implied by another poster, the bad taste could be from harmful alkaloids that borage can contain:

"BORAGE SIDE EFFECTS & SAFETY
    Borage seed oil is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults and children as long as it is free of dangerous chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). Borage plant parts including the leaf, flower, and seed can contain PAs. PAs can damage the liver or cause cancer, especially when used in high doses or for a long time. Only use products that are certified and labeled PA-free.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: ItâÂÂs important to avoid borage products that might contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). PAs are a risk to the mother because they can cause serious liver disease and might cause cancer. PAs are also a risk to the infant because they might cause birth defects and they can pass into breast milk. Researchers arenâÂÂt even sure if borage products that are certified PA-free are safe during pregnancy and breast-feeding. ItâÂÂs best to stay safe and avoid using borage.

Bleeding disorders: There is some concern that borage seed oil might prolong bleeding time and increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. If you have a bleeding disorder, use borage with caution.

Liver disease: Borage products containing hepatotoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PA) might make liver disease worse.

Surgery: Borage might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop taking borage at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery."

This WebMD article also has some interesting information regarding possible medical applications for some borage components in rheumatoid arthritis, lung disorders, and premature infant nervous system development, and also lists questionable uses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web MD

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Alkanet(sp.) is a real pain if you get it as a weed in your garden. It seeds like crazy and the stems and leaves have tiny bristles which stick in your skin. Always wear gloves if you are pulling it.