Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simple Lavender Question?

Posted by compostworm5 9 (tarfoot05@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:26

How well does lavender grow in central Florida, in the ground? Have three plants in a bed that is apart of the house with a roof overhead. Recieves the morning, up to mid-afternoon sun. The medium is house dirt that drains well. Any success out there to speak of that has been grown in the soil? Wanting the hedge look

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simple Lavender Question?

I actually live in Pa. But I can tell you that you are going to do well with that kind of Soil. I water mine every other day, they do require moist soil. Don't over water but be sure that they are in moisture. Also if it get's to hot and you have not had any rain I would suggest grabbing a spray bottle and around dusk, spry them with water. Do not spray them when the sun is out, it can and will burn the plant. I hope that helps you.

o

No clue here for I too am in the Frozen North. But I would opt for maybe the Spanish types that like it warmer.

FataMorgana

o

Lavender will do well until the summer heat and humidity sets in and then it will probably decline. I have some too to enjoy as long as I can.

o

"Wanting the hedge look"

If I understand what you are looking for, rosemary would be another possible choice. I've seen nice sheared hedges of it and it has small lavender colored flowers which are attractive. Someone else will have to tell us if it will do well in Florida but I believe it will.

Jim

o

Needs really well drainging soil and some shade for summer heat ... watch it during the really wet months I mulch around mine before a bad rain to absorb the extra water .... do you know what kinda of lavender it is

o

I also live in the north but during the summer of 2012, one of our hottest on record, my lavender did fine. I have many varieties, but L. 'Grosso' is my favorite.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here