Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basil wilting

Posted by supereaude (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 19:59

I have a basil plant that is wilting. I cant tell if i need to stop watering or water some more. I am a beginner and am just learning. I water it everyday...is that too much? What kind of watering regiment should i stick too? I once read that basil likes to dry out and then be soaked...any truth to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basil wilting

Depends on the pot size, amount of sunlight, heat, and many many other factors. Daily watering if its in a 2"x2" pot with a heat mat under it, will dry its soil fairly quickly. However, if the plant is in a pot larger than 2 incheswith no external heating applied, yes, over watering is probably the cause. Leaves start to turn yellow at the lower end of the plant. If the whole plant is now wilting, it may be due to 'damping off'. This disease is in many poor soils, and is the worst way to kill otherwise healthy seedlings. Always start seeds in a seed starting mix, especially made for reducing the possibility of diseases. The fungus attacks the base of the stems and will kill the surface of the stems which strangles the plant. If your not experienced in growing any plants, suggest you get some easy to understand books on the subject. Hovering over, and trying to baby a single plant, can kill it with kindness and too much attention to too many details. Consider plants outdoors- do they get watered every single day by nature?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here