Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msfuzz

Artemesia Dracunculus

msfuzz
14 years ago

Aka French Tarragon. I thought I would share with you all my experiences today. I live about 2 blocks from Nick's Garden Center in Aurora, and have so far been impressed with their selection and service. I went over there today to relish in green and growing things (instead of the dead brown stuff in my own yard). I've been keeping an eye on what herbs they are growing, since that's a big part of what I'm putting into my garden this year.

Armed with warnings from you all, and from the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum, regarding the difference between French Tarragon & Russian Tarragon, and the prevalence of garden centers foisting off Russian as French, I looked carefully at the French Tarragon offered at Nicks. It clearly stated "Artemesia Dracunculus" on the label. I then performed a taste test on one of the largest seedlings, one about 6" tall with good-sized leaves. It didn't taste like anything...At all. I thought perhaps that the tarragon doesn't develop it's flavor until it's more mature.

So on a whim, I went up to Timberline Garden Center in Arvada, and performed the same test on their clearly labelled (and similarly sized) "Artemesia Dracunculus." Wow! It immediately tasted of anise, and the characteristic "tongue numbing" was there too!

As happy as I was to find true French Tarragon, I am really saddened to know that Nick's is foisting off Russian Tarragon as French. This makes me very hesitant to trust any of their seedlings! How do I know they're not doing the same thing with other plant varieties?? Ack!

So, I ask you....What would you do? Would you still shop at the near place with the good selection that may not be trustworthy, or would you drive across the city to a place with less selection, but you know you can trust?

Comments (3)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Before you make any decisions about boycotting, I'd make sure that you let Nick's know what's wrong. They won't fix anything unless they know it's broke! I daresay they get deliveries of umpteen thousand plants at a time, and it can't be expected that they'd double-check each and every one of them. However, once an anomaly like this is discovered, they can take steps to notify their supplier(s) and take whatever action they deem fit.

You can always ask them for the name(s) of the supplier(s) and contact them as well, expressing your displeasure.

I don't think it's taking things too far to use the word 'fraud' somewhere in your complaint! After all, someone along the production line is fobbing people off with an imposter!

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I agree with Daisy in that you should talk with the people at Nick's. Everybody makes mistakes, businesses are no exception. Talk to them calmly and respectfully - be sure to use the "Golden Rule." Explain what you had happen. And see how they respond to you. That is more telling of the business than if they had a plant mislabeled - which if you go through the back posts here is a *very* common occurrence.

FataMorgana

• msfuzz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after reading y'alls suggestions, and a similar suggestion on the RMG forum, I went back to Nicks today and spoke to one of their managers, Randy.

I introduced myself, and said up front how much I like Nicks and have always had great experiences with their products and especially their service. I then carefully explained what I had discovered with the tarragon. He listened carefully, then asked me to show him what I was talking about. We looked at the starts they had for sale, and I again explained why the plant was Russian & not French Tarragon, and that it was clearly mislabelled. He said that they do indeed get most of their starts from a grower, and that they came already labelled. He was courteous and understanding, and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. We ended the conversation with my desire to remain a Nick's customer, and his apologies for my feelings of "betrayal," and his desire that I be able to continue to trust their products.

So, I'll go back over there in a week or so, and see if they're still offering the same plants with the same labelling. If they are, no more Nick's for me! If they're not, I will continue to shop there, albiet with a critical eye.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I'd hate to lose a so-far great relationship with a good garden center over something they couldn't control.