Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

How deep do peppermint roots grow?

Gardener972
13 years ago

I want to grow mint and the only sunny spot I have is on the west side of the house where I have flowers planted. I'd like to plant some mint in a pot so it doesn't take over.

*How tall should the pot be and will the roots eventually grow down and out of a large pot...like a foot tall?

*What's the most adaptable, large leafed mint?

Comments (10)

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds crazy! Are ALL mints this vigorous? I want mint only for tea. Which variety would be best?

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Mints are one of the great survivors of the plant world. The entire clan is vigorous and respects not borders and boundaries.

Which is best? That's like asking "which breed of dog is best?" It truly is a personal preference as to what makes the "best" tea. I suggest trying various ones and see which mints you prefer. My favorite mints are peppermint, spearmint, catnip, and lemon balm.

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

I daresay you've got the message by now - but in case you're still in a state of disbelief....

The Mints have grand plans for World Domination! They are very good at Invasion and Taking Over. When we talk about 'aggressive growers' we really mean it when it comes to mint.

There are many threads here about mint - and how to get rid of it. Try a Search.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I have mint on the back side of a 4 ' high wall with underground footings 3' down. The backwall mint has successfully sent runners under the footings and come up the other side.

Never underestimate the power of mint -- World Domination is at hand!

I like Scotish Mint best.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Hmmmm.......who would win, the Triffids or mint? I don't even think Las Vegas would make odds on that battle. I suspect a draw!

Even so, I willingly planted mint. I've got it doing battle with other aggressive plants at the moment and believe it or not, it is loosing.

FataMorgana

• ania_ca
    13 years ago

I had periwinkle come up on my hill. Not knowing what it was, I let it grow and it completely took over, even choking out the mint. The part that sucks is, the mint would have been easier to pull out. I have no idea how to get rid of the periwinkle.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, it's pretty crazy!!! I'm putting a new post out there on growing it as a hanging plant.

• juju wei
    7 years ago

Mints are not that extreme, though growing it hanging over a porch may add sweet scent to the air. If you want to add mint to outdoor gardens, you may want to grow them in a tub and then bury the tub.

• dewdropmon
    7 years ago

I have chocolate mint with nice large leaves. It struggled for a while after I got it and for a while I thought I would lose it but it's doing really well now. It's growing in a pot that about 2 feet deep and it doesn't seem to be getting pot bound yet. But the I haven't even had it for a year yet.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm