Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep do peppermint roots grow?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 20:39

I want to grow mint and the only sunny spot I have is on the west side of the house where I have flowers planted. I'd like to plant some mint in a pot so it doesn't take over.
*How tall should the pot be and will the roots eventually grow down and out of a large pot...like a foot tall?
*What's the most adaptable, large leafed mint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep do peppermint roots grow?

Years ago, in my ignorance, I planted some mint in the garden. I WAS careful to dig in vertical dividers in the garden bed - they were about a metre deep.

But that mint was wily. It grew downwards, escaped the barriers, rang under the ground across a wide stretch of lawn, then under a 2-car-wide concrete driveway, and into my neighbour's garden. It spread in other directions as well, of course!

Since then, I've learned to keep my mints in pots. I don't use particularly large or deep pots, knowing full well that it won't be long before I'll have to repot on a regular basis - and really large pots are too heavy to manage. I use pots about 30cm wide and roughly the same deep, and they are manageable.

The roots of mints are very aggressive growers, almost impossible to confine. They WILL grow out of the drainage holes and take hold wherever they can - even (as in my garden) in the tiny spaces between brick pavers.

So my advice is to put your mint into the largest pot you can easily lift, and to divide and repot your mint on a regular basis. Regardless of the size of your pot, your mint WILL become potbound at some point.

I my subtropical climate, mint prefers dappled sunlight. It will grow in the full blast of the sun, but that makes for small leaves. In partial shade, the leaves grow larger, but they don't have quite the same strength of flavour. Experiment by moving your pots around to find the ideal position in your climate!

Peppermint leaves are smaller than those of Spearmint (the common or garden variety). My personal taste dictates Spearmint, and I find it more versatile for cooking. I prefer to leave the peppermint for dessert-y things. The growth habit of both these are much the same, though spearmint will flower and self-seed as well as spreading by its roots and runners.

o

Sounds crazy! Are ALL mints this vigorous? I want mint only for tea. Which variety would be best?

o

Mints are one of the great survivors of the plant world. The entire clan is vigorous and respects not borders and boundaries.

Which is best? That's like asking "which breed of dog is best?" It truly is a personal preference as to what makes the "best" tea. I suggest trying various ones and see which mints you prefer. My favorite mints are peppermint, spearmint, catnip, and lemon balm.

FataMorgana

o

I daresay you've got the message by now - but in case you're still in a state of disbelief....

The Mints have grand plans for World Domination! They are very good at Invasion and Taking Over. When we talk about 'aggressive growers' we really mean it when it comes to mint.

There are many threads here about mint - and how to get rid of it. Try a Search.

o

I have mint on the back side of a 4 ' high wall with underground footings 3' down. The backwall mint has successfully sent runners under the footings and come up the other side.

Never underestimate the power of mint -- World Domination is at hand!

I like Scotish Mint best.

o

Hmmmm.......who would win, the Triffids or mint? I don't even think Las Vegas would make odds on that battle. I suspect a draw!

Even so, I willingly planted mint. I've got it doing battle with other aggressive plants at the moment and believe it or not, it is loosing.

FataMorgana

o

I had periwinkle come up on my hill. Not knowing what it was, I let it grow and it completely took over, even choking out the mint. The part that sucks is, the mint would have been easier to pull out. I have no idea how to get rid of the periwinkle.

o

OK, it's pretty crazy!!! I'm putting a new post out there on growing it as a hanging plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here