Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trill_gw

groundcovers

Trill
13 years ago

To stop erosion, I need an invasive, fast growing ground cover for several football size areas. I know mint is very invasive, but we are surrounded by a wooded area, so that would not be a problem. We have about 2 - 3 acres of land on a slight slope behind our house and a large pond with woods on both sides - this is in full sun. we also have another acre beside our house between our house and the barn that is mostly shade. We need something low growing to keep snakes from hiding in the cover (being in the country, we do have snakes) This area is all in the back and on the side of our house. We need something that once growing, we can just leave it alone and not mess with it. (We did put grass in the front) we have spent well over $2,000.00 trying to find something that will take over and spread and stop the erosion - but so far have wasted our time and money. I wish I had found this forum 2 years ago when we first built out here. I appreciate any information that is out there. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• opal52
    13 years ago

For the mostly shady site, look up Lariope Spicata. It grows well in almost full shade. A little too well. It dies back in cold weather. Produces berries in fall that birds eat after everything else is gone :~). We simply mow before spring growth starts (late Feb. in our area) and that's it. It will grow thick enough to stop washing or erosion. We have a sloped back yard and it works well for that. Not sure about snakes. I think it may be a little thick for them to easily move around in, once it gets established.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lariope Spicata

• opal52
    13 years ago

Opps, sorry Trill. You are probably looking for herbs rather than Lariope which is a grass.

• Trill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! This is georgous ground cover. If it is as quick as it says, it might work. The only reason I thought of herbs like mint and thyme is because I know they are very fast to take over an area - but the Liriope looks so thick and plush - I love it! Thanks so much for taking the time to help!!!! I will definately look into this!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Trill, as you have discovered it's LIriope and it isn't actually a grass. It is in the same family as asparagus. You are wanting to cover a very large area and personally I would go for a mixture of things, not a monoculture which could look very boring. Also if it doesn't grow or gets some problem you'll lose the lot, not just a patch. I don't know what would be good in your climate but I would definitely go for a variety. As for discouraging snakes I would have thought that any plant could provide cover for them.

• Trill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks - that's a great idea. I also want to seed as much as possible to keep the cost down - just not sure what will seed good. I do like the idea of a variety - that would help break up a large area. I think I'll post this on the 'groundcover' forum and maybe get more idea's. Thanks again!!!

• debrasue
    13 years ago

I know that this might not be the place to put this but what about a native grass? Like a short growing type... say buffalo grass or something like that. Depending on how long your willing to leave it you wouldn't even have to mow it.

• Trill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After many attempts and expense of trying different ground covers, we did sow grass seed and it has actually started coming in in patches - not close to covering, but we are encouraged by the little bit of green spots that we see. The native grass idea is great - we have native grass all over on our land - but none on the area by the house. I wonder if I could transplant it - might be worth trying. Thanks for the idea. I also found a site to buy seeds for everything, including native grasses - think I will give that a try! Thanks!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

red clover is another great one. You can mow it when you mow grass, it is used as an herb (it's useful: you could potentially make some $ by growing it!), and it tastes great! Not competitive with grass!! You can seed it out too. Same with buckwheat, you can seed that out and it's an annual, very easy.

• Trill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love red clover - but worried that it might get too hot here for it. Doesn't it prefer cooler climates? I might order some seed and see what happens. We have such a large area behind the house, I think I am going to try a variety of things that hopefully will blend together and look good. Mowing is not an issue - in fact we would like something that can just go natural. After some responses I got, I think I will try some native grasses along with various ground covers, wildflowers and herbs. I will also try a patch of the red clover - if it takes off, I will get more and add to it. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, how could I make $ with it - I'm always interested in that - ha! Thanks!!!

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Red clover is a common medicinal herb. The blooms are harvested and dried, if interested in $$. But you would need a source to sell to.

FataMorgana

• ania_ca
    13 years ago

I think mint is a lovely groundcover. Here's what it looks like. I do have Ivy that competes that I had just pulled before I took these pics. That's why there is bare spots, but if mint it the only thing there, it will cover and it smells so good. That all started as one plant ;)

I'm currently, trying to get rid of all the invasive ground cover that took over my hill to let the mint take over again. I'm also putting in a plant of reddish mint and a plant of veriegated mint to get a nice mix going. I also prefer the mint to the periwinkle that has taken over because it stays pretty low.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

How about chocolate mint? It sort of crawls?

• Trill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great ideas - thanks! I do like the mint idea, especially because of the smell and also because it grows so fast. I have never seen chocolate mint - is it as rapid as regular mint, like spearmint, and does it cover as thick? Could I combine different kinds of mint? Thanks for posting the picture - it helps to actaully see it. Thanks everyone!!!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Mine seems to be taking on the appearance of spearmint or peppermint, now that it's getting bigger. I just saw some Corsica mint being sold as a ground cover.

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Might even try some woodland violets, they also love shade and do love to spread by self sowing.

• kterlep
    13 years ago

Chocolate mint is great. I am currently eradicating it from my garden where I made the MISTAKE of planting one tiny pot WITH PROTECTION two years ago--that one tiny pot (with protection) has grown to densely cover several square yards of my garden space.

And when you walk on it or mow it....it smells like...Andes dinner mints!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I love my chocolate mint. Imagine it in chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate, chocolate cake, mint juleps, ice tea.
    It really smells like a mint chocolate, or even chocolate chip mint ice cream! It seems to have more mint oil than the peppermint that I grew last year and killed in the heat.
    I'm going to try some chocolate chip cookies this evening.

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

Mother of thyme is a beautiful low-growing herb...

• ania_ca
    13 years ago

The pics I posted is actually Chocolate mint. I love it.

Ania