Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary looking brown after winter

Posted by bardamu RI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 21:29

I have a small potted Rosemary that I planted into the ground in October. Now Nemo snow has melted and leaves are looking a little brown. Is it dying, will it be fine, should I do anything like trim it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary looking brown after winter

Definitely do not trim it. All you can do is wait and see how it gets on as the weather warms up. But I am not too sanguine. Rosemary is evergreen in climates where it survives the winter. I've never had it go brown.

o

Turning brown is not a good sign. If it is dying you should know very soon. If it really starts to brown quickly and you can find some green branches personally I would take a few cutting but not until then and try to get what green branches strip back the leaves and place into root tone then soil, and see if you can at least save a few as new starters. They usually start to die from the center out so if this is what is happening you need to make those cuts quickly.

o

I overwinter a few rosemary plants inside my house and usually about half of them turn brown and die. Rosemary is not easy to grow in New England. I am guessing that the snow smothered your plant and killed it.

o

Thank you for the advice. It does look like it's going fast. I was able to salvage a few shoots which I have . Not sure if bringing them inside from cold weather to indoor temps is going to hurt the process. Right now they are in the garage near a window in high humidity environment but probably 40 to 50 degrees F and not very bright.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here