Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

Tarragon, one more time...

hortster
14 years ago

My (I believe true) three-year old French tarragon must have been growing for two or three weeks and got by me. Shame on me, last year's folige is still there, but somehow a fresh green color stuck its head through this week. After reading the recent thread on this plant I am missing one of the keys to "true," maybe. I taste tested a couple of fresh leaves and instantly got a medium to medium-strong taste of anise-like flavor. The missing part is the "tongue numbing" or tongue tingling effect that was described there and in other threads, too.

I grow tarragon for sauces (esp. Béarnaise) and vinegar. This may seem crazy but I never tried it fresh and uncooked before. Flavor-wise this one works.

My plant meets the other criteria. About 18" height, Now almost 3' diameter; doesn't flower, in good soil, well drained. Ma Nature gives it all that it gets - nothing special from moi.

I really think that, just like in other species, there are "clonal" variations after thousands of reproductions. Maybe the numbing agent is weaker and stronger in different reproductions. Or, maybe it is too young to have developed that trait?

Growers of "real" tarragon, what sayeth you?

hortster

Comments (12)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

TRES BIEN !
    By all indications what you have is the real McCoy, French Tarragon.
    Mine are about 4" tall now, but then I am in zone 8.

The tongue numbing effect may not be as strong at this early stage.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

A baby plant will not yet have the same strong flavour as a mature plant. Give it time. French Tarragon only grows to about 60cm (2ft), Russian tarragon is much taller. Its leaves are more narrow and spiky, not at all fragrant, and the flavour is more bitter. And of course, the Real Thing has that astonishing mouth-numbing effect.

It certainly sounds like you have the Real Thing, but I'm not so confident about Cyrus' plants! If you live in a cooler climate, perhaps that explains why you don't get that mouth-numbing. However, the Real Thing doesn't like a hot climate at all.

The site below has a not-very-good picture of French Tarragon, and a reasonable one of Russian Tarragon. If you look closely, you can see some difference in the shape of the leaves between the two. I'd say it would be quite difficult to see the difference unless you saw the two plants together.

The long and the short of it is - if you're perfectly happy with the Russian Tarragon, then don't fret! But once you've tasted the French Tarragon, you'll never be satisfied with the Russian!

In my hot subtropical climate, I have to be satisfied with the Winter Tarragon, Tagetes lucida. I know it's an imposter, but it's NOT a weed, and I find it a very acceptable substitute for the real thing, whereas the Russian tarragon didn't tickle my taste-buds in the slightest.

Here is a link that might be useful: compare French v. Russian tarragon

• hortster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts, cyrus and daisy! Later this season when the growth is more mature I will report on the tongue numbing. By the way, daisy, our summers do get up to 100° on occasion and this plant doesn't seem to care. Of course, we are not "subtropical." Thanks again.
    hortster

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Daisy, I live in a 4-season climate. We have had a relatively cold winter. All Januray and some nights in Dec, and Feb. we had freezing temperature. That is why, my plants are living now in cold weather. They are tender and not harvestable yet. We will have very hot summer as well,
    reaching into triple digits F( close to 40C). But I have planted my tarragons where they will get shade in the afternoons when it gets real hot in the summer.
    BTW, my tarragons are the real things too.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Hortster at my old house I did have French tarragon that lived for several years before a neighbor used weed killer on his yard and it killed everything near the fence. Yours is probably the true thing. One year it never went dormant.

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

I've grown French Tarragon for over 20 years. The real deal. Some people NEVER feel that tongue-numbing sensation when tasting French tarragon and others feel it right away. So, it might not be your plant at all, but you simply don't respond to that effect from French Tarragon. Just as some people are never bothered by poison ivy, but others just ~look~ at it and break out in a rash.

• hortster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK. Here 'tis. Went out today and picked one of the oldest leaves n my tarragon, chomped it, chewed it, rolled it around on my tongue. Yep. Tongue got numbed but only slightly, yet enough to realize it DOES have a numbing effect. Glad that my senses work yet a little. Final report!!! :o)
    hortster

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

The numbing effec is not that strong. It may also depend on the tongue.lol
    I have both winter and summer savory. Those have real tongue numbing effect. Tarragon is much milder.

cyrus

• dancinglemons
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for this post. I have been asking locally if my tarragon is French. After looking at the link posted by daisyduckworth I think I have the Russian. It was sold as French but the leaves look exactly like the Russian. It does have a mild flavor. I am now out to find some French Tarragon....... Wish me luck.

DL

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

French tarragons that are sold in nurseries are several years old, not grown from seeds.
    You can buy bunches of FT from store and root them. I managed to do one last year.

Now I have learned how to propagate them by layering. Bend down a BRANCH, burry it
    at the center. Use an opened hair pin to hold it down. Keep the soil moiost for a while. The part in contac with soil
    will root. You can then separate it as a new plant.
    Like the French say VOILLA!

• hortster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I lied. THIS is the last post. I went to the garden tonight, plucked one of the oldest leafs, and voila! THE tongue numbing effect. Wowzookie. OK, promise, this is the last post. LOVE this herb!
    hortster

• nygardener
    13 years ago

If you grow enough of it, you can make tarragon pesto. Yummy.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!