Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro Tips

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 22:24

I have a cilantro question. How close do you plant the seeds, then thin? Do you thin? Just want to hear some tips.

I am growing in containers.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro Tips

Also What is better to harvest the plant when it is 6 " or cut back and get 2-3 harvests from each plant?

o

I would plant singly for big healthy plants you can cut from regularly. If you want cilantro quick you can sow lots of seeds and let them grow and harvest them sooner. A single cilantro plant gets pretty big and provides a decent amount of cilantro. Basically what I am saying is do both, plant singly and let some get big and healthy and also plant some that are crowded too.

o

I sow the seeds rather thickly. I thin out (aka harvest and use!) some to get to as thickly/thinly planted as I want. I do that also with other things like lettuce and beets where you can thin and use the young surplus. Gets you harvesting all the sooner!

FataMorgana

o

I like the idea of keeping big ones going. I know planting a lot would be better in a way as far as taste? But I do not like planting seeds over and over. I will go for big plants.

How many per 1 gal pot in the long run? every 2 inches like thay say?

o

Sorry - with cilantro you do get to plant seeds over and over. Sowing some every 2 weeks for a continual supply of cilantro leaf is often suggested here.

The "big plants" bolt, i.e. flower and go to seed. It will happen - it's not a matter of if but of when. Many find the taste of cilantro poor after flowering plus the leaves become more fine, almost dill-like.

While the leaves are prized in the kitchen, the blooming plant is quite pretty and the seeds also are used in the kitchen (aka coriander).

FataMorgana

o

Thanks.

o

I hope someone looks at this again. I want to know when cilantro bolts in zone 5? I am planing the area for my summer crop and want to know how long from seed cilantro takes.

o

I hope someone looks at this again. I want to know when cilantro bolts in zone 5? I am planing the area for my summer crop and want to know how long from seed cilantro takes.

I am also in zone 5. Cilantro doesn't follow a calender in terms of bolting. It does so when temps reach 75 F, about 24 C.

o

See the link for days to maturity - and there are 2, one for leaf and one for seed (coriander).

Don't plant all your seed at once, plan to plant it in batches every few weeks or so for a continuous amount of leaf in all but the hottest part of our summers.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: cilantro days harvest

o

What I want to know is why would want to thin them? They seem to do just fine no matter how thick you plant them. I just wait until I am ready to harvest and just go and cut what I need at that time. If they start to bolt I cut all I want and let the rest of them bolt and harvest the seeds later.

o

Thanks for these grteat tips everyone!!!

Thanks for the link too FataMorgana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here