Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Have you grown parsely from seed?

ditnc
13 years ago

My other plants germinated well with a heating mat, but the parsley has yet to pop through. The packet says 14 - 21 days to germinate, and it has been 14. My veggies germinate far sooner than the "days to germinate" date on the packet.

Does parsley really take 3 weeks to germinate? I started another batch "just in case" but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. This is my first time trying to start it indoors from seed.

TIA!

Comments (17)

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

Parsley has to go to the devil and back 7 times before it germinates! It does take a long time, be patient. Some people will do tricks like soaking parsley seed before sowing it or nicking the seed. But, if you realize it takes some time, you won't have to do anything extra. Good luck!!

• coloradogrower33
    13 years ago

I've germinated parsley seeds just fine with no soaking or anything. They took about 2 weeks to come up, but some came up a month ago ago, and I planted them in December! So just be patient.:) They'll come up when they want to.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I direct sow parsley and about the time I'm thinking that the seed is dud seed and I'm planning on what to replant in that area, there it is sprouting. So be patient!

FataMorgana

• ditnc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! Your replies were very helpful. I will practice patience :)

• MGPinSavannah
    13 years ago

I'm lucky enough that I'll get little parsley "volunteers," but they do show up much later in the spring than just about anything else, which may speak to how long it takes the seed to germinate. Hang in there � you'll have parsley!

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Direct sowing works fine but it would take a while.
    Although parsley is a cool weather loving plant, its seeds will need some warm soil to germinate, but not like basils.
    I have done it in cold frame in the past. It can give you a head start. But now, I just sprinkle some seeds between my old parsleys, scratch the soil, cover lightly.
    Right now they are up, starting true leaves.

• ditnc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: we have parsley seedlings! Yay! And my basil germinated, too. Thanks for all the input!

• californian
    13 years ago

The Parsley seed package said to soak the seeds overnight before sowing them. I soaked mine in a potassium nitrate solution overnight and still they took over a week for the first seed to germinate and now after three weeks I still see some laggards sprouting. The package said could take 60 days.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I direct sowed mine two years ago. Now I seem to have a permanent patch from reseeding. I think it likes where I planted it near a sidewalk. Must like very alkaline soil!

• ralph31558
    13 years ago

I start my italian parsely seeds in a container every year starting early march. I use some mirical grow garden mix for the continer dampen the surface,and spread some of the seeds on the surface , then lighty cover the seeds with perlite and lighty water the perlite.Just make shure it does not dry out. You will see growth in 2-3 wks, it works every time.I have my container in the screen house.

• greyandamy
    13 years ago

I started mine in moist paper towel in baggie, they germinated in about 4 days.

• vieja_gw
    12 years ago

I planted the first x a pot I bought at Home Depot. They have gone to seed & have come up all over the place!! Not the original double but now a mix & usually the flat leaf dominates now. Almost as much a weed as the darn dill weed!! (but I love them both to use!)

• flowbee235
    12 years ago

Hi,

i put mine in a little pot and put it on my windowsill ten days later they were up and doing fine. Now my mint and oregeno are another story.

• andrewofthelemon
    12 years ago

i have never had trouble germinating parsely...it was the first thing to germinate for me...
    I just put one or two seeds in little jiffy pods...with a regular desk lamp nearly 24/7...came up in 8 days

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I live in zone 4b (central Wisconsin). I got a packet of Italian Parsley seed and was hoping to get several 3.5" starter containers of it going to surprise my mother with. She loves parsley and I thought it would be nice to give her a head start. When should I start the seed and when would be a good time to transplant it into the garden. I understand there is a deep tap root so I don't want to start too early. How many seeds should I sow in each container? When should I plant the seeds? And when should I expect to transplant them outside?
    Bruce

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I usually direct sow parsley so I can't give you a good time frame for indoor starting. There also seems to be a large range of germination results which can make it trickier.

Whenever you start it, you may wish to use only some of the seed. Save the rest for indoor starting 2 weeks later or direct sowing outside. That way you can compare results for yourself as well as having some leftover if you ended up starting too early.

FataMorgana

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I usually throw it on the ground, water it in and forget about it. It's always come up.
    Same with cilantro.