Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

How early can these go out

firstyear
14 years ago

I was bored in early January and was planning to start a dedicated herb garden anyway this year, so I decided to see how well a bunch of herbs would do in the 55 degree basement under lights. Not surprisingly, some did poorly (Basil); some started out very slowly, but are now coming around (oregano and thyme) and a few have done very well (sage, cilantro and parsley). The weather up here has been very mild, the ground is thawed and dried out...the chives I abondoned in a pot outside are coming up. It seems like the ground is about 2 weeks or more ahead of schedule right now.

The problem is the sage and parsley have done so well that I'm having trouble holding their growth and they are screaming to go out. What's the coldest weather garden sage and parsley will tolerate? The 10 day outlook has the lows in the lower 30s and highs in the mid 40's to low 50's. Basically, late March weather.

How about thyme and oregano? They'll probably be ready to go out in about 3 weeks in early April. Will they tolerate a frost?

Comments (4)