Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary advice

Posted by lindainpdx OR (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 22:37

Hi, I think my rosemary plant is dying and I don't know what I should do. I have a 2 year old Majorca pink in a container. It stays outside year round here in Portland. It thrived the first year and tripled in size. After last month's snow storm, the tips of some of the branches turned black and were droopy. I cut those off and it looked better. But now the leaves are falling off. Most of the branches have turned brown. There still are some branches that look alive and green, but more than half the plant looks like its dying. Any pointers? Is there hope to revive it? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary advice

G'day Linda, I'd say it'll be alright. the youngest parts show the effect of frost bite first, then older parts start to give up. But if you prune off the dead stuff when it appears and perhaps feed it some sulphate of potash it should be okay. From the photo it looks healthy where it isn't dead :-) Go well

o

Do you have it growing in a good, coarse potting medium.....one that drains freely? And does it need to be repotted?

And have you been fertilizing it once in a while with a properly balanced fertilizer? Plants require a lot more than just potassium, especially when growing in containers.

o

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have the plant in a well draining potting medium. Never thought about repotting it so soon. I just repotted it last year. Do you think it needs a bigger pot?

I have only been fertilizing with fish emulsion every once in a while. Should I get a better form of fertilizer?

o

It is probably root bound.
Needs to be taken out, its roots trimmed off and repotted in a new well drained potting mix, with well balanced pH. Herbs prefer alkaline soil ( pH =>> 7)

o

I give mine a half table spoon of Epsom salts in two cups of water when they look alil sad. ... when u repot put a few small river stones in the bottom improved drainage a lot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here