Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolf_gw

O__O Roaches!!!

wolf
18 years ago

Yes, roaches..I live in south louisiana near a patch of woods..there will be roaches in my house...but this is crazy! A bunch of little black ones, no more than 1/8" long..they're attracted by and living in the soil! How can I get rid of them?..or AT LEAST reduce the numbers.(i'll be getting the roach poison..but what else?)

Are they dangerous to my plants(basil, lemon balm, peppermint, Cinnamon Basil, spearmint)??

Any way to do this WITHOUT killing my plants?? I can't really move my plants, nor do I want them,outside..

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanx in advance.please answer asap.

THanx again :)

Comments (12)

• francescod
    18 years ago

Are you sure they are roaches? I've never heard of roaches bothering plants. There are some bugs that look like roaches. Try to identify positively before you put down poison.

Francesco

• rustiksandkandles
    18 years ago

I live pretty deep in the woods and we have wood roaches and they love the soil and can be a booger to get rid of. They are black in color. A few years ago we logged some trees out and we had them like crazy for while. They did not harm any plants or anything, just drove me crazy. I just went to Wallyworld and got a spray and sprayed all around the house right next to the foundation, spray it pretty heavy or go twice. That took care of them from coming in. I can't remember the name of the spray but I didn't get the cheapest, I wanted something I know for sure would work. I didn't spay in on the plants. I also heard of sprinkling ground cinnamon around on the ground will keep roaches and ants away, never had tried it though. I do know Penny Royal is good for repelling fleas and other small insects, you could check into seeing if it's good for repelling roaches. Call the local garden center they can give sugjestions or even some home rememdy advice or your local extension office! Good luck!

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

I hope you don't have pets that can be poisoned with roach killer... pesticides are awful... please don't use them.
    I found roach hotels to be really effective... I lived in a "Roach Hotel" in San Francisco... they climbed our bed... roach hotels are just great.
    Another thing... ancient cajun saying....
    "Chickens in de yahd, mean no roaches in de house" :o)

• rustiksandkandles
    18 years ago

What I got was safe for pets and children and safe to use in kitchens, it was made with pure orange peel extract, but I sure can't remember the name. Had a red and green label, I will look when I go to Walmart this week-end and see if they still have it and post it then. It worked really well, after a good soaking of it and I din't have to spray again.

• rustiksandkandles
    18 years ago

Baking soda and sugar, that's pretty cool! That's stuff you have around the house! Do you sprinkle it dry or mix it with water and spray it?
    That stuff I was talking about with orange extract...... hubby said we didn't get it at Walmart but Lowe's- it's called Bugs'R'Gone and 100% organic.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

My mother had a large, favorite African Violet in a large pot that began to decline after a few years, but she couldn't figure out why. She decided to repot it and found a small colony of large black roaches living in the bottom of the pot and eating the roots. She made short work of the roach family, repoted the AV and all lived happily for many more years.

• katwomn59
    18 years ago

I got something called OrangeGuard that is supposed to be safe around food, humans and pets (but not aquatic animals). Supposed to repel roaches, fleas, ants, silverfish. Got it at either Home Depot or Lowes (cant remember). I also use something called RoachPruf. It is basically boric acid and you puff it into cracks and crevices. It it supposed to stick to the roaches and they carry it to the nest. Havent had a roach problem since I started using it (and I am a lousy housekeeper LOL!)

Lydia

• teryaki
    18 years ago

Pet chickens or pheasants WOULD be the most effective form of outdoor roach control.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Supposedly, if you can do this, I tried once, long time ago, don't remember if it worked... if you peel cucumbers, just the green part, no white on it, it's toxic to roaches... supposedly....

• wolf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We do have chickens outside. I don't know how many for sure, but I"m guessing 3 roosters and about 20 hens.
    The problem may or may not be gone. I haven't seen any roaches..but they could just be on the bottom of the tub.
    The stie I found didn't specify, but I'm guessing they meant dry.
    This is the site:
    http://www.ghorganics.com/Cockroaches.html

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

They didn't mention these big black roaches... my mother lived in a house, planted squarely on top of a nest... they mostly like it outdoors till you put a house on their nest... you couldn't leave your shoes on the floor... and if you went the bathroom at night...crunch crunch crunch... the stuff of nightmares!:)
    I am not sure pesticides work anyway... once, later in my life, I'd have roach stomping parties in the driveway, after the house next door got covered in one of those huge covers and fumigated... the roaches just up and left....