Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrling

Peppermint no longer tastes like peppermint?

Starrling
10 years ago

Hi guys! I've got a bit of an issue with my new peppermint plant. I bought it about a week or more ago and potted it in a Miracle Grow potting mix. It's in the house now sitting next to the window and I've started to notice the peppermint smell decreasing. Rubbing my hand violently on the leaves no longer makes a peppermint smell, it's more of a chemical smell than anything. My chocolate mint, however all I have to do is run my hand through it and it will smell like it everywhere. So, we tried to taste the peppermint leaves and my girlfriend describes the taste similar to alcohol with a bit of minty aftertaste. Any ideas what could be going on?

Comments (10)

• Deeby
    10 years ago

It needs sun.

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

Most herbs need SUN and heat to develop the oils that give the taste and scent to the plant. Winter herbs rarely taste as strong as in the summer.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Yes - get it outdoors where it can breath. Inside it will grow sappy, etiolated and much less tasty.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Early spring plants that are extra bloated with water don't have the same taste either. Check back posts - no flavor is a spring complaint. I would imagine indoor plants to also have the same complaint. When possible, harden your plant off and move it outdoors.

As far as a chemical smell, I don't use Miracle Grow for any edibles. I opt for organic or as chemical-free as possible soil and seed-starting mixes. I view it as a GIGO issue - "Garbage In, Garbage Out."

FataMorgana

• Starrling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick update. I put both my peppermint and chocolate mint outside for a couple of hours to begin hardening them off. They're almost dead at this point. The plants are extremely wilted. I don't know how their health diminished so quickly, but I don't know that there's much I can do now. Should I continue trying to harden them off?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Can you describe the conditions outside? Sunny? Hot? Windy? Have you watered them?

• Starrling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose that would've been helpful. Yesterday before I put them outside, they were already pretty terrible looking. They had adequate water, but not so much it drowned them. First the chocolate mint started to go, then the peppermint. So I put them on my balcony. It was cloudy, so I figured it'd be best to let them have a little light, but not too much yet since they had been indoors. After about two hours, it had started to rain and I was not home, so they got a little wet which made them even more droopy from the rain clinging onto their stems.

This post was edited by Starrling on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 11:16

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Just a thought-that pot is huge for plants of that size. Lots of danger of over-watering.

Linda

• Starrling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were extremely root bound when I bought them, so I wanted a bigger pot to put them in. The soil is barely damp, not wet or drenched. Would it not survive from something like that?

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, "a couple of hours" is too long for the first day of hardening-off. Though it makes a difference to put a plant in shade or dappled shade rather than full sun, even too much wind can have negative affects on a plant used to windless indoors conditions.

So give the plant a rest from outdoors for a day or so, make sure the soil hasn't dried out (wind can be dehydrating), and try again when the plant recovers from the wilting.