Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imagiro1

Newbie killing herbs

imagiro1
14 years ago

Hello,

This is the first time I try planting some herbs. I have 2 x 2ft planters with Thyme, Dill, Tarragon, Sage, Chives, Rosemary, Oregano, and Basil. All the goodies. At first they started growing without a problem. It's been over a month and a half ago since I've planted them and slowly they've done worse and worse. It seems like they aren't holding themselves up. They just fall over. And the smaller seedlings just aren't growing. I've tried watering more and then watering less. I also moved them from an East facing window which got a lot of sun to a South facing windows which will get a bit more shade. I am just looking for some guidelines for getting them to grow. "Don't over water" and "lots of sun" are some lame directions for growing herbs. I just want some fresh herbs. I've posted up a few pictures here. Thanks for all the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://picasaweb.google.com/imagiro1/Plants#

Comments (7)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No doubt you've heard of Nature's catchcry 'Selection of the fittest'? Well, that's what's happening with your baby plants. Left to their own devices, only the strongest would survive, the rest would die. When you've got so many plants in such a small space, there is huge competition for resources, and plants aren't renowned for their generosity towards competitors!

It's time for you to be ruthless. You'll need to pick out and destroy the runts and leave only the strongest ones for growing on. You can try to keep them all, but you'll need a pot for each individual. As they grow, they'll need bigger and bigger pots - like kids and their shoes!

Your small pots should do for, say, one oregano, or 2-3 chive plants - for a while, till they outgrow it. Yes, beginners are always astonished to learn just how big their baby herbs can get! One itty-bitty chive plant can grow into quite a large clump, and your rosemary will end up nearly as tall as you are, and (unless you're morbidly obese and are the size of the side of a barn) several times wider!! You need to research their potential size!

I notice in your photos that your pots are sitting on neat little saucers. This is a huge no-no. Excess water drains into the saucer, and unless it is emptied out as soon as it fills up, the roots of your plants are going to rot. None of the herbs you have likes to have constantly wet feet.

This is just one of the disadvantages of trying to grow herbs indoors. Another is that plants just don't get natural sunlight, which the ones you have need. Natural sunlight can only be accessed outdoors, never through glass. (You can emulate the natural light by using special grow-lights, however.)

The two rules you mention and call 'lame' mean exactly what they say. 'Don't over-water' means just that - give only enough water to keep the plants from getting thirsty. Too much, and you'll drown them. Water them only when they need it - but don't wait until they're parched. Poke your finger into the soil as far as it will go. If the finger tip feels cool and moist, don't give water. If the finger tip feels dry, apply water.

As for 'lots of sun', well that's not lame either. It means what it says, too. Most of the commonly-used herbs (including the ones you have) need at least 6, and preferably 8, hours of sunlight per day. With your baby plants, you'll need to harden them off - this means, gradually introduce them to the real sun, sheltering them in the hottest parts of the day until they're able to withstand it all day. As with all babies, they need a bit of extra protection, but need less as they grow up.

When a seedling begins to fall over, most newbies go into panic mode. It's easily fixed. If the plant is definitely a scrawny runt, eliminate it. However, it usually means either that the plant is ready for potting-on to a large container (or, better, into the ground); or if it's leggy, it's crying out for more sun. Your oregano is more likely to grow sideways for a while before standing erect.

Much of what I've said here can be found in many other similar threads. You'll learn a lot by browsing through those threads.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'newbie' threads

• imagiro1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like I've done just about everything wrong. I guess I should be happy they are growing.

I played "god" today and selected which ones will get to live. It was kind of sad. I think I cut my dill plant in half. I'm guessing in a week or so I'll have to do it again.

Would it be a good time to move them back to the window where they will get direct sunlight? (I can leave the window open for most of the day. Weather is great!) I also have a small porch where I can put them. But they will be shaded. Which one would you suggest?

As for watering them, I'm pretty sure they weren't getting enough. I was just waiting for the top soil to dry and then watering them. I've never given them enough water for the saucer to fill up with water. I can't remove the saucer, but I am able to bend the plastic enough to drain the water when it does start filling up. The finger trick is a good one.

I hadn't really noticed, but the oregano is more like a small vine. By leggy, do you mean they are bowed towards the window begging for sun?

Thanks for all your help. I've already learned a lot. I wish I had to read more, but school has me busy enough. I'm sure I'll be back in a week or so with more questions. Thanks again.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Judging the wetness of soil by looking at the surface just isn't enough. It's what's underneath the surface that matters. Water needs to get down to where the roots can access it. The finger test helps with that.

It's better to give one thorough watering per week than to give a drop or two every day. Also, never allow commercial potting mix to dry out completely. When dried out, it becomes water repellent - the water just slides through without leaving much behind for the plants. If it does get dried out, dunk the whole pot into a large tub of water (deep enough to cover the whole pot), and leave it for a few minutes until you notice no more air-bubbles rising. Then remove the pot and allow the excess water to drain away. After that, the potting mix will be thoroughly damp, and will no longer be water-repellent, and you can then water 'as normal'.

Sun-loving plants won't do well in a shady area, so your porch isn't the ideal place for them. Sun-deprived plants will always reach out (lean towards) the sun.

• imagiro1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh man. It's like I should write a book about what not to do. I was watering everyday or so. I would let the soil dry out and then water.

I noticed the basil (for example) had some long roots. While some of the others had really short roots. Should the ones with shorter roots be watered less?

• bookworm21
    14 years ago

You don't want to water everyday. Once a week should be fine, just make sure it is enough. If you are watering too much, the leaves will start to turn yellow!

• prariechic
    14 years ago

I'm also somewhat of a beginner to herbs... This thread had been very helpful to me as well, thank you everyone!!
    Some of my plants are growing very slowly.. lavender, for one. But the basils are sprouting all over the place, in tall, thin bunches. They're not very strong, and my basils and my dill sort of look like it's starting to wilt over. I can take pictures tomorow morning if you need some for reference... I'm wondering if maybe they need to be split up and put into larger pots? I read it'd good to "dreadhead" them often, so I took quite a few leaves/stems today in hope the plants will start to branch out into more of a bush, rather than a straight up, tall, weak plant. Any other tips?? Thank you all in advance!

• MGPinSavannah
    13 years ago

Imagiro, if you're growing herbs indoors you probably will need to put them under plant lights. I used to be able to grow African violets on my east windowsill with enormous success, but when I moved to a house with eaves I had to get plant stands and plant lights. The great thing about plant lights is you can grow plants in the basement (if you have one). My herbs are mostly in full sun here in Savannah and thrive, so I'm willing to bet that your babies need more light.