Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accidentally mowed Chives

Posted by WonderWeasel 6A (Soulfly865@aim.com) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 0:56

A certain "genius" in my household decided to mow the lawn today... and my chives plant, despite the fact it was behind a garden barrier. Luckily, he only mowed about 3/4 of the plant's leaves, and down to about 3" above the soil. I started my plant from seed early last spring, so this is its 2nd growing season. My question is this: Was too much of the plant cut off for it to recover? It is a relatively small bunch (about 5-6" in diameter), and again, this is only its 2nd growing season, and only about a month into it. I can include a picture if needed, as well. Thanks!

--Jordan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accidentally mowed Chives

I would think that 3 inches of leaves would be enough. That's about what I leave when I cut mine, and they come back vigorously.

o

Agreed. Chives are sturdy and robust enough to bounce back from "zealous" lawn care. You can let your husband (?) off the hook.....but maybe you could get a couple of new plants out of it first!! ;)

FataMorgana

o

Ditto what FM said for me!

o

LOL thanks everyone! It was actually my brother that did it, and now that I know it will more than likely bounce back, I won't get on him too bad about it :) Again, thanks for your replies!

o

Rest assured. you can cut chives(flat leave, garlic chives), leeks, ... down to the bare ground and they will come back even with more vigor. I always do this with my leeks, when they are young, so that I can have them instead of garlic chives. Butthan , later I woul let them get thicker.

o

From my experience, chives cannot be killed in the garden. I read somewhere that chives were a good companion plant for roses...big (painful) mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here