Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie at Herb Gardening

Posted by GreenBiker none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 0:56

Hi! I'm Ang from the Philippines!

I got into healthy cooking recently, and I thought aloud, how I wished I had all the herbs I needed in my garden. A few days later, my brother brought home little pots of various herbs, like, Purple Basil, Holy Basil, Thai Basil, Stevia, Arugula, Japanese Mint, Chocolate Mint, Peppermint, etc.

Here's the thing: I don't know what to do. I have no background in gardening. I don't know if I should water them? repot them?

Help???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie at Herb Gardening

You should do a good web search on each herb for quick information. If you have the room they all need to be put into the ground soon. I understand that holy basil is a perennial and the rest of the basil's are annuals. The mints are perennials that love moist soils and can become invasive under the right conditions. Not sure how they would fare where you live. Do you have a extension agent in your country, if so they would be great in helping you with understanding how well they grow there. I do not know if there are any more members of this website who live in your area but if so they may be able to be of more help as to how to better grow them there.

o

If you don't have a place to plant them in the ground, you may wish to check out the Container Gardening forum since it will have all sorts of really good advice on growing plants in pots.

FataMorgana

o

A quick answer to one question....YES, they will need to be watered!

Do you have a friend or neighbor who may be able to act as a mentor to you, giving you some help and advice?

You sure have a very nice brother!

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 0:58

Hello, Ang... Here's a source that may be helpful :

"In the Philippine climate, especially in the lowlands, growing herbs may be challenging to the beginner. But that is exactly why we have this website! To take away all the guesswork so you can easily understand the unique requirements of each herb for the Philippines. Soon, you’ll be filling your pots with your very own herb collection and be the envy of all your guests!

The good news is, growing herbs in containers helps you to readily meet the moods and musts of herbs for growing herbs in the Philippine climate; which is why herbs grown in containers often do much better than those grown in the ground, out in the garden."

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in the Phillipines

o

I would think that any herb would grow year round for you. You don't get frosts, do you? I lived in 9b. Vero Beach. Florida for a few years and plants most people called annuals lived for years for me. Good luck with your herbs. If you can't plant them in the ground (the best place for them) please put them in much bigger pots and water them regularly. Not sure how much rainfall you get. If it rains, you don't have to water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here