Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbiker

Newbie at Herb Gardening

GreenBiker
11 years ago

Hi! I'm Ang from the Philippines!

I got into healthy cooking recently, and I thought aloud, how I wished I had all the herbs I needed in my garden. A few days later, my brother brought home little pots of various herbs, like, Purple Basil, Holy Basil, Thai Basil, Stevia, Arugula, Japanese Mint, Chocolate Mint, Peppermint, etc.

Here's the thing: I don't know what to do. I have no background in gardening. I don't know if I should water them? repot them?

Help???

Comments (9)

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

You should do a good web search on each herb for quick information. If you have the room they all need to be put into the ground soon. I understand that holy basil is a perennial and the rest of the basil's are annuals. The mints are perennials that love moist soils and can become invasive under the right conditions. Not sure how they would fare where you live. Do you have a extension agent in your country, if so they would be great in helping you with understanding how well they grow there. I do not know if there are any more members of this website who live in your area but if so they may be able to be of more help as to how to better grow them there.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

If you don't have a place to plant them in the ground, you may wish to check out the Container Gardening forum since it will have all sorts of really good advice on growing plants in pots.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

A quick answer to one question....YES, they will need to be watered!

Do you have a friend or neighbor who may be able to act as a mentor to you, giving you some help and advice?

You sure have a very nice brother!

• jll0306
    11 years ago

Hello, Ang... Here's a source that may be helpful :

"In the Philippine climate, especially in the lowlands, growing herbs may be challenging to the beginner. But that is exactly why we have this website! To take away all the guesswork so you can easily understand the unique requirements of each herb for the Philippines. Soon, youâÂÂll be filling your pots with your very own herb collection and be the envy of all your guests!

The good news is, growing herbs in containers helps you to readily meet the moods and musts of herbs for growing herbs in the Philippine climate; which is why herbs grown in containers often do much better than those grown in the ground, out in the garden."

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in the Phillipines

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I would think that any herb would grow year round for you. You don't get frosts, do you? I lived in 9b. Vero Beach. Florida for a few years and plants most people called annuals lived for years for me. Good luck with your herbs. If you can't plant them in the ground (the best place for them) please put them in much bigger pots and water them regularly. Not sure how much rainfall you get. If it rains, you don't have to water.

• Hazel Epogon
    8 years ago

Ang, im from phil in manila, my husband have also a same herb plants that ur brother bought, u can transplant all ur plant in container, atlest 1gl. And put it outside which recive morning sun or atleast 8hrs of full sun, and afternoon shade, basil likes full sun and afternoon shades. Also ur mint, mint like morning sun, 7am til 12pm. Stevia and arugula can grow even in shade or in partial sun, but it can grow in sunny spot.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

'If it rains, you don't have to water.' I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement. In a pot a plant only has access to the medium in that pot and the surface area on which rain falls is small so the medium may not get sufficiently moist. In the ground a plant's roots can travel to find water. Containers often require watering even if it does rain.

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

When it rains in the Phillipines, it RAINS and the pot very well could be sitting in standing water. They've got typhoon and monsoon rains there, not just passing clouds misting water. The watering advice above is probably decent advice for that area.

I mean, the bottom stories of houses there aren't plain concrete with plastic furnishings for no reason.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I did say, I wouldn't necessarily agree... i.e. just because it rains you can't stop monitoring moisture. I don't live in the tropics but I have been to tropical/monsoon regions many times. I live in a very wet climate myself. All I would advise is not to assume that rain is sufficient. Conversely, if it does rain you still need to check moisture. As you say it could be too wet.