Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rod707

Basil & Dill Help

rod707
13 years ago

I'm about to plant this year's basil & dill and have a few questions after my crops of each the past 2 years had a few problems, which I want to avoid this year.

Basil -- when I plant my seedlings, they start out a deep green, but after a while, the leaves turn light green and stay that way. I haven't fed them in the past (didn't think herbs needed feeding). They keep producing, but the leaves usually look a bit on the thin side and they never get that deep rich green.

Dill -- 3 years ago, I planted dill in a terra cotta pot and it did just fine. The following year, I replanted in the same pot and all was good for about a week, then the plant started to yellow and a week later it had shriveled and died. Last year, the same thing happened with two different plantings. The pot is located adjacent to the lawn and gets plenty of water from the daily overspray when the sprinklers go off. I'm wondering if that's giving them too much water (though they did fine there 3 years ago). This year, I plan to put seeds in the pot, but I'm going to move it about 3-4 feet away and just water it periodically with the hose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths