Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

ants in my........

batyabeth
14 years ago

potted lemon verbena! Not ON the plant - I checked for aphids, etc. first thing. But IN the pot and roots of the plant, it spews small black garden ants from the drain hole. It's an otherwise fairly happy plant; slow to grow new shoots after taking sprigs, but no signs of disease or unwanted guests. I usually use boiling water on ant nests, but obviously not here. My only thought is to take it out of the pot, dip a few times in (soapy?) water and re-pot in new soil.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• t-bird
    14 years ago

glad they're not in your pants....the title was alarming!

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Soak the pots, then lift out the plants and remove any ant nests at the base. Stand the pots up on bricks, and wipe them every month or so with eucalyptus oil to repel another invasion. A ring of pepper around the pot will also help deter the ants.

If that fails to get rid of the ants, you'll need to repot using fresh potting mix. Remove the plant, soil and oil, and thoroughly wash off all the soil (along with any ant eggs etc). Then thoroughly wash out the pot, using a small dash of bleach in the final rinse.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thos black small ants are harmless but I, myself, find them annoying.

• batyabeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I'll do it this weekend. I assume, dear Daisy, that you mean red pepper flakes. Or would black ground pepper do the same trick?
    And now it's off to fight the mighty snails that are making swiss cheese out of my mint....
    batya

• t-bird
    14 years ago

Snails like mint?

It's a never ending battle, isn't?

• bookworm21
    14 years ago

Yup, try washing the plant and then setting up a something around so the ants cant get to it.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

I mean black pepper.

• batyabeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Daisy, black pepper it is.
    Yes, t-bird, snails like mint. Little holes chewed in the leaves, they have no other critters/culprits on or around them. Snails, and their homeless cousins, slugs, like mint, basil, wormwood, and nearly every other thing I plant. They like the early shoots of pansies, any succulents, and any and all seedlings. Yup, chomped off at the nub, chewed right down to the stem, they are so far impervious to coffee, eggshells and anything else I can throw at them. Can't get Bt here, but next comes the death by beer experiment.
    After the first of the month, I'm hopefully heading down to the professional gardener's store, to spend a little hard-earned. If I can find neem oil I'll get some for the very beginnings of whiteflies on the calendula, along with the well-under-way powdery mildew of same. Any other suggestions heartily welcome.........

• eibren
    13 years ago

If the pot is outside and the verbena is doing well, why harm the ants? The plant may actually be receiving some benefit from them.

You will be killing a whole society.

:o(

• HU-381843139
    last year

I used lemon verbena oil in a spray when we had a problem with ants invading our apartment in Mexico City. It worked like magic and all the ants decamped immediately to a new nest elsewhere. I had learnt this tip from an entomologist on the radio. Ants use scent to communicate and spraying scents like this disrupts their behaviour. I have always liked ants, so I didn't want to do anything that might harm them.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!