Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing Maca

Posted by gardenswithducks z6aNC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 7:01

I found a source for Maca seed: Horizon herbs. Has anyone grown it? How did you grow it and what was your experience?
I would imagine it is not the same as when it is grown in the Pervian mountains but would still have many benefits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing Maca

I just got my maca plant from Crimson Sage nursery yesterday! For more info on maca, go to Herb Pharm's web site. Ed Smith is big time into maca. Good luck with yours, gardenswithducks. I'll let you know how I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herb Pharm

o

Isn't this a superfood? I wonder how you would grow it in a container, because I'm sure it doesn't care for clay soil!! I will try the sites you have mentioned. Do you know if it is easy or hard to grow? Thank you all. ~Karen

o

Total failure for me.
Seeds sprout easily but never pass the seedling stage. Sometimes they seem to stale when they are tiny seedling for months without growing much more than a few mms.

Apparently they need intense sunlight, cold and dry temperature, poor rocky soils.

In greenhouse I tried to provide them dry conditions and light, but not cold enough for them, and not enough light for them. In summer, not enough light and too much moisture.

Seems very difficult...

More information here:
http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthread.php?t=904

o

Great

Here is a link that might be useful: hurtownia obuwia wólka kosowska

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here