Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Edged Tyme Perennial?

Posted by claydirt 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 7:13

I planted a silver edged tyme last year (Thymus vulgaris 'Argenteus'). Now it looks dead. Will it come back? Should I prune it way back? Or dig it up and buy new? Or is it just slow, waiting for warmer weather?

I thought tyme was a perennial in zone 5 (central Indiana). But it's not looking good. I have clay soil that tends to stay wet all winter; it had some compost/leaves for winter protection.

Perry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Edged Tyme Perennial?

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 9:52

I would prune it back and wait. Thyme is a tough plant but it's possible it got winter killed especially in wet clay. It might have been better to not give it the protection. Leaves and compost will tend to keep it wet all winter.

o

If it looks dead, it probably is. My thymes retain their leaves all winter - no matter purple they look!

I have had poor luck overwintering all but the standard, common thyme (Thymus vulgaris). I think the common thyme is the toughest and hardiest of the thymes.

I too have clay soil but I make sure that plants like thyme are in the best draining locations I have. Sitting in water is sure death for these plants especially during the winter season.

FataMorgana

o

"If it looks dead, it probably is. My thymes retain their leaves all winter"

Thank you. There may be one tiny twig on the plant that still has a couple leaves. Other than that, zip. I'll cut it back; I got nothing to loose at this point. And let it sit there a while more while looking for a replacement. [What could go wrong? Maybe end up with 2 tymes instead of one?]

o

Certainly give it a chance if you think there is life still in it! Good luck!! :)

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here